58.

After dropping Leonora off at her parents' house, he drove the car to his own house and decided to walk to Eddy's from there. Leonora would be in and out of his house the next few days, moving her stuff with her parents. He had offered to help, and she broke down in tear, pulling him into a hug and thanking him over and over.

Brett wasn't sure what he had done to deserve the thanks he was recieving. Especially after finding out she was pregnant. It was his responsibility too, wasn't it?

The nerves built more and more as he approached Eddy's house. He had left before Eddy woke up that morning, and going in without knowing how Eddy was when he was on the verge of breaking himself was terrifying. Would he have the strength to help Eddy if he needed him?

He stood in front of the door for a moment, with one hand in the pocket he had placed the note from the doctor and the little ultrasound image. He felt the edge of the paper for a moment before letting himself into Eddy's house.

"Brett?" Eddy asked, probably after hearing the door open. Brett took a deep breath, realizing Eddy sounded pretty okay.

"Yeah, it's me," Brett responded, barely keeping his voice from shaking. It was harder than he expected to keep a straight face.

He heard Eddy move around for a bit before sticking his head out from the kitchen. Brett tried to smile at him, but it felt off and of course Eddy could tell.

"Do you want coffee?"

Brett blinked a few times, not really understanding what he was asking.
"Wh... What?"

"Do you want coffee? You look like you need it," Eddy pointed out, and Brett was pretty sure he'd burst into tears if he tried to use his voice to answer. He nodded instead, and Eddy disappeared into the kitchen to start up the coffee machine.

Brett slowly took his shoes off, only noticing how much his hands were trembling when he tried to untie his shoes. When he stood back up and kicked his shoes off, he saw Eddy in the doorway to the kitchen again.

"Are you okay, Brett?" he asked softly, and that's what pushed Brett to lose control of his tears.

"I don't know," he answered honestly, and the next thing he knew Eddy had his long, safe arms wrapped around him. Brett hid his face in Eddy's shoulder, just allowing his tears to flow.

"I'm sorry I've been stressing you out the last few days," Eddy mumbled, stroking Brett's back gently. Brett opened his mouth to protest, but Eddy continued before he could.

"But if you can promise me you're not just doing it to make me feel better, I... I mean, I..."

Brett let out a sob, not knowing how to respond to something like that. Would Eddy even want that if he knew what had happened that day?

"I do love you, Eddy," Brett mumbled against his shoulder before pulling away slightly. He wiped his tears. "I promise, I'll prove it to you if you just give me the chance."

Eddy nodded, and Brett could feel the ultrasound image rest heavily in his pocket.

"Why does it sound like there's a but in there?" Eddy asked, his gaze moving down to where his fingers were fumbling with the sleeve of his hoodie. Brett licked his lips.

"There's something you should know, and I don't want to pull you into my mess if you don't want that."

Eddy blinked a few times, but before either of them could say anything more the coffee machine slurped, the familiar sound indicating the coffee was ready.

"Let's talk over coffee?" Eddy suggested in a weak voice and Brett could feel his hands shaking again.

"Sure, yeah."