65.

"So, have you decided, Brett?"

Leonora's voice was calm, almost sad, and it made Brett's stomach twist. He wanted to hug her and apologize for putting her in this situation, but at the same time he knew that she had been in on the sex making her equally to blame.

Brett turned to Eddy before answering, feeling the need to grab his hand under the table, but wasn't sure if Eddy wanted that kind of public affection.

Eddy raised a questioning eye brows and Brett licked his lower lip nervously. It was as if they had a silent conversation in a language only they knew, but when Eddy gave a tiny nod, Brett turned back to Leonora.

"I've decided, I'll... I mean, if you don't want the baby, I'll, with Eddy's help, take the baby," Brett said, nodding a bit to himself to confirm what he had just said. Leonora's eyes went between the two boys.

"So you're a couple now?"

Brett turned to Eddy, wanting to be sure he was ready for her to know, but Eddy spoke before he could ask.

"Yes, we're a couple," Eddy said quietly, taking Brett's hand carefully and demonstratively. "But there should be a point in the contract about DNA testing and opening for the possibility for Brett to change his mind if the baby turns out not to be his."

Leonora's jaw dropped. Brett squeezed Eddy's hand nervously, but Lawrence just nodded in agreement and typed it into the document.

"Are you suggesting I cheated on him?" Leonora asked in a defensive tone. Eddy just shrugged.

"I'm just looking out for Brett, plugging leaks, you know?" Eddy said, leaning back on the kitchen chair. "Shouldn't be a problem if you didn't cheat."

Brett felt his cheeks warm up at Eddy's words, but at the same time he didn't want to suggest something like that.
"Just to avoid misunderstandings, you know. I don't think you cheated on me," Brett added, running his thumb over the top of Eddy's hand. "I think it would make me feel better at least."

"I think that's a good idea," Lawrence shot in, looking at Leonora. "It's not like anyone thinks you slept with someone while with him, but if we have it in the contract we can't be faulted for having a contract that only benefits you."

Leonora processed what Lawrence had said for a bit before nodding.
"Fine, okay. I just didn't like the suggestion that I was the cheater when..."

"When it was me. I know," Brett completed the sentence for her. "I'm still very sorry about that."

"It doesn't matter anymore. It's obvious you'd rather be with him anyway. Good for you, Brett," Leonora said flatly. "But whatever, you want our kid, I can't take care of it so I guess that settles it?"

"Are you having any more ultrasound checks or anything like that?" Eddy asked, and Brett squeezed his hand again, grateful that Eddy seemed to think about everything.

"In two weeks, yeah," Leonora said, a hand finding her belly as she spoke. "Brett can come, if he wants."

"I'd love that, that would be... Yeah," Brett confirmed, running a hand through his hair. Eddy licked his lips next to him, trying his best to keep his facade.

"It's settled then. I'll text you the details about that," Leonora said and turned to Lawrence. "Anything else we should mention? I kinda want to go home and lay down a bit..."

"Can't think of anything. I'll type this up for you properly and send it to you next week, alright?" he said with a blinding white smile as he closed his laptop.

Eddy kind of wanted to sink through the floor, but managed to keep his face. It didn't feel like he was going to be a parent at all. Maybe Brett didn't want him to have that role? Was he giving himself that role without actually looking to see what Brett, the actual father of the child, wanted?

He decided to stop pushing it. Brett probably didn't want that. Why would he?