Coming of Elements

"Duvessa, you are up first," The Elder urges Duvessa to step forward to the table. Once she does, six things are present to her: a feather to identify if she's an air user, a rock to identify if she's an earth user, a light bulb to identify if she's an electricity user, a piece of metal to identify if she's a metal user, a drop of water to identify if she's a water user, and lastly, a piece of cotton to identify if she's a fire user.

"All you have to do is put your right hand out in front of you to the table and close your eyes. Then I want you to focus on your energy, breathe calmly and we will see your result," The Elder explains. "Now try it."

Duvessa, with a mean look, raise her hand in front of her to the table. She closes her eyes and starts to inhale and exhale. Slowly, her tense muscles relax. She can feel something through her palm but is distracted when she hears the Elder softly telling her open her eyes. Duvessa look and didn't see anything, but she saw the looks of the council. They whisper quietly to each other and Duvessa wonders why.

"Duvessa," she looks to the Elder, "I will like the break the news to the council,"

"You may announce," the head council allows the Elder.

"For a century now, we finally have a metal user in our district, Duvessa." People clap, even the kids who are age thirteen to fifteen. Duvessa furrow her brows. She's not happy about her result, but she knows better not to make a scene. With a sick attitude, she walks off the spot light.

"You are going to be a fine metal user, Duvessa," a teacher compliments her and pat her on the shoulder. She aggressively moves her shoulder away from him then went to sit down.

Duvessa watch Zuleima up next. Different from her, Zuleima doesn't like to show her emotions. She's calm and collective.

Zuleima stretch her hand out and closes her eyes. Duvessa watch closely and see the cotton ball lights up in flame. The fire devours up the cotton in no time leaving it turn into smoke. The sight of this made Duvessa really happy. It's probably because they are close friends.

"Zuleima! A fire user!" The Elder announce.

Zuleima comes to Duvessa and they exchange congratulations. It's only a few times Duvessa witness Zuleima smiling and this is one of the time. Both of them ignores the 'Coming of Elements' and talk about what they have in mind and that is the First and the Second. Everyone competes for that. Earning the titles will give them the luxury, the privilege, anything they desire, not to mention, the adventurous quests. Stories had been told to them and they want it, they need it. They talk as the Elder keeps yelling about the results of their classmates.

"Can this place get any louder?" Duvessa covers her ears. Zuleima laughs and slap her hand.

"It is interesting though, you should see how they manipulate the elements," Zuleima points at the sparkling electricity around the bulb made by their classmate.

"I'm nervous," Zuleima looks at her friend. "The Elder said I'm a metal user, the only one in a hundred years. What will they do to me?"

"Surely nothing, Duvessa. If they do, I will protect you," Duvessa relax when Zuleima holds her hand. She gently squeezes Zuleima's hand back then focus on the stage.

Duvessa got bored listening to the Elder. About two hundred children are up for test and the words that leaves the Elder's mouth are the children's name and what user they are.

"Ellera, please step up," The Elder commands. Ellera did so and like everyone who went before her, she stands in front of the table. She relax herself and raise her hand then close her eyes. Everyone watch her and wait for the outcome. The silence fills the room and the Elder hasn't give her permission to open her eyes yet. Seconds later, whisper starts to occur.

"Nothing happened," Duvessa talks to Zuleima.

"That's weird," they both nod, agreeing with each other.

"Ellera, you may open your eyes now," The Elder allows her. Once she did, she nervously wait for the result. "I would like to report to the council,"

"You may report," the head council say.

"It seems that Ellera doesn't have the ability to manipulate the elements that are presented to her. I am asking permission to seek further into this,"

"You are allow," the head council confirms.

"You may go sit down," Ellera did what the Elder say but the entire time, she keep her head down. She can't believe what just happened. The other kids are whispering and their whispers are loud. Ellera went to sit down by herself and eventually sob quietly.

"This concludes the Coming of Elements ceremony," The Elder announce after going through twenty kids after Ellera. "I bless these children to be the best in their element. May you all reach your highest potential and make history in your name!"

Everyone cheer and are happy because in the coming months, they are going to practice their element and they are going to go through deep changes. All except Ellera.