Manipulation

Ellera

"Duvessa, how? How? I can manipulate air. Don't lie to me," I walk around the room trying to get this straight but it isn't helping at all. "I can't be an energy user."

"You controlled my metal and on top of that, your excitement caused the light bulbs to break. That points directly to an energy user," she talks to me but that doesn't help me either.

I'm scared honestly and Duvessa is right. I can't let anyone know about this. I'm also reminded that Cassian told me to trust Duvessa so I will.

"Ellera," Duvessa turns me to face her. She holds my hands. "We can't let anyone know about this. They may see it as a threat, but I will always protect you like I promised."

But... No.

"I don't want you to protect me," I tell her. She give me a confuse look so I clarify. "Teach me how to protect myself." She comes closer to me then rest our foreheads together.

"Okay," she softly speak. Duvessa kiss my forehead then take me out of the room.

"Where are we going?" I ask her.

"My room," she answer. Oh, why?

Entering the building, Zuleima step out of the elevator.

"Duvessa, there you are. I was looking for you," she say as she comes forward.

"What is it?" She ask.

"Privately," Duvessa nods then hand me her badge. I left them and went to the elevator to Duvessa's floor. After I enter the room, I sit on the bed and wait.

I'm starting to feel paranoid. No one knows yet, but how long would it take for everyone to know? I just have to act like I'm normal right? But what if I change color? That's a giveaway. Maybe I don't want this change. My life won't be the same ever again. Can Duvessa and I get out of here and never return? No, this is our home. It's where we grew up. If everyone knows, I just want them to accept me, but they never have.

Knocks come from the door and I went to open it. Duvessa comes in then lock the door. I want to ask about what they talked about and did she tell Zuleima about my condition. Anyways, I shouldn't pry. She did say we can't let anyone know, meaning not even our closest friends.

"You okay?" She ask me and cup my cheeks.

"I am. Let's begin," I tell her.

Duvessa make me start by controlling air. I did just that. I fly papers and objects around until she stops me.

"Okay, water next," she tells me. I hold my hand out and think of water. Once I open my eyes, I see nothing not even a drop of water. This confuses Duvessa and she stands up from her chair. "You can't?"

"No," maybe she's wrong. I'm just an air user.

Duvessa cross her arms while looking at me. "Wait here," she leaves to the bathroom then comes back with a cup of water. "Try again." She holds the water in front of me and I look at it. With my hands, I slowly motion them up and immediately the water rise up. I smile and so did Duvessa. Once all the water is out of the cup, she set it down. "Try expanding it." I pull my hands apart and see the water spread in the air. Not only it did that, I think I summon even more of it.

"Duvessa..." I chuckle and bring my hands together. It minimize the water and I control it back into the cup.

"It seems you can only control elements if they're present," she say then summon her metal. I smirk and take it from her which she fights for it back. "I'm not letting you."

"Really?" I challenge and blow at her. A puff of air hits her face. It blows her loose hair back. With the metal between us, we battle for control of it. Since I'm still new to this, she overpower me. I let it go and huff.

"Not bad," she compliments me then go ahead and sit down. Her elbows rest on her knees while she sigh. "Zuleima found out that a few items are still missing." My heart drop. I know nothing.

"So the search will continue?" I ask.

"Yeah, the Elder will take care of it," she answer.

I sit by Duvessa and tap my hands on my knees.

"Don't stress it. We already know it's the fire club, so just pressure them on giving back,"

"Yes. Oh! Zuleima's birthday is tomorrow,"

"We should buy her a gift," I recommend.

"Yeah, right now." She stands up then pull me up after. I giggle and hold her hand, giving her badge back to her.