Poisoned

Zuleima

Why did you let yourself to be distracted in a battle? If I get knock down then it's all over.

"Congratulations!" Scarlett appears and we both stop walking. I smile then welcome a hug from her.

"Thank you, it was close," I sigh then look at Duvessa. She doesn't want to talk after I scold her.

"Duvessa?" Scarlett looks at my Second and her face is full of worry. "Zuleima-!"

I see Duvessa's eyes roll back and she fell backward. Luckily, I caught her and lift her up in my arms. What happened?! Her lips are turning purple. Immediately, I take her to the infirmary.

"Is she sick?" Scarlett ask me as we wait for the nurses walk come out and tell us what's wrong with my Second.

"No, she was really happy this morning and afternoon," I say. "It must be from the battle."

"I don't see anything that will cause her to do that," Scarlett rubs the back of my hand and then the nurses got out. I stand and ask what's wrong with Duvessa.

"Duvessa got poisoned but don't worry. It has been extracted so she just need some rest," Oh good. I thank the nurses then go inside.

Scarlett and I watch over Duvessa as we quietly talk.

Half an hour later, she hurry out of bed. It frighten me but I follow her to the bathroom. Duvessa has puked a green sticky liquid out. I gag at the smell before helping her up.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I flush the toilet. She nods and went to the sink to gargle some water. After that, I took her back to bed.

"What did they even poison her with?" I ask knowing Scarlett won't also know.

"Our bodies are weak when it comes to poison. You won't know until it's too late, Zuleima," I nod at what Scarlett say then we continue to watch Duvessa.

An hour pass and the Elder walks in. She ignores me and went up to Duvessa. I get up and get between them.

"What are you doing?" I ask coldly.

"I'm just checking on Duvessa," the Elder explains her action.

"She is fine now. Leave her to rest," we stare at each other for an awful long time until she speaks.

"Alright," the Elder retreat out of the room.

"You don't trust the Elder?" Scarlett holds my hand once I went back to sit beside her.

"No," I answer.

We quietly talk to each other for awhile before Duvessa wakes up. I feed her lots of water and she returns back to sleep, not speaking another word.

"I'm going to get us some snacks," Scarlett pecks my lips then leave. "Hey Ellera," I hear once Scarlett steps out the door. Since she's here, she can watch over Duvessa. I get up and she walks in.

"Could you watch Duvessa for me? Don't let anyone else come into this room other than us, do you understand?" I ask her in a serious tone. She nods then I left.

I rush behind Scarlett and wrap my arms around her waist before lifting her up. She yelps and laugh before calling my name.

"I figure we get food together since Ellera is watching Duvessa," I recommend.

"You trust Ellera around Duvessa?" She ask once I let her down.

"Don't make me suspicious," I kiss her cheek then hold her hand.