Two

Duvessa

My eyes flutter open and they land upon the ceiling. With the couch not big enough for me, I slept pretty hard. I turn to the end of the couch and see Ellera still sleeping on the bed. A sigh is release before I look away. Scarlett, I hate you.

I got up to stretch then use the bathroom. After finishing everything, I head out. So did Scarlett, she looks at me with a smile on her face.

"What?" I ask her.

"How did it go?" She asks, thinking I got back with Ellera.

"I'm not letting it go anywhere," I turn to walk away but she follows.

"You didn't accept her apology?"

"Why should I?"

"She sees her mistake, she trying to fix the relationship. If I were you, I would definitely forgive her,"

"Scarlett, she hooked up Phoebe. If that doesn't disgust you, I don't know what will,"

"I would still forgive her,"

"So if Zuleima cheated on you, you would still forgive her?"

"She'll be blind for sure. She won't be able to look at anyone else," I chuckle and put my hands on my pockets. "But I'd still forgive her."

"I don't know,"

"Where are you going anyways?"

"To have breakfast with the Firsts and Seconds,"

"Ah, I should go get Zuleima,"

"She doesn't have to,"

"Back to Ellera," I immediately groan. Scarlett won't stop bugging me, right?

"Fine, I'll give her another chance. Can you leave now?" I turn around and tilt my head slightly. She smiles and nod.

"I'm getting breakfast for Zuleima. We stayed pretty late last night. I wanna bring her breakfast in bed. Don't you want someone, ahem Ellera, to do that for you?"

"No, I... No," I stop walking backwards and look where I'm going.

Scarlett didn't stop convincing me even though I gave her my answer. The time is difficult. I know deep down I still want her, but I also don't want to get hurt. It's why I'm not taking any risk.

I join the table of the Firsts and Seconds. They all greet me and I greet them back.

"Duvessa, you never told us your mate is an elementless girl," said Second Alafia hit my arm. Great, I got rid of Scarlett but now they're asking me. Everything just gotta be about Ellera right? Why can't it be about my metal manipulation or like my quests, or maybe the event tomorrow? But no, it's gotta be about Ellera.

"It's an embarrassment," I mumble. They heard it and told me it is not. They all said the girl is special, which makes me question myself how?! Ellera was once useless, good for nothing but carry me library books and make me have a good laugh whenever I picked on her. How was she special? "Stop talking about it."

"I rather have a Necolourem rather than an Air user who blows puff of airs at me whenever he wants," said First Fraser.

"That's adorable," I comment.

"I once walked in on my mate during training. She wet me with her water. It gave her the idea of wetting me everytime and when she does, she says this phrase, 'do I make you wet?'. She do though," we all burst into laughter.

We never move on from the topic of our mate. There was so much to talk about. I love listening to each of the First and Second talking about their mate. It means I was the only one treating my mate badly. There's guilt to it.

A teacher approach us and inform us to go see the Elder for the drawing. I really don't want to fight any of them.

We all clean up our table and leave to the Elder chamber. It brings me back to the fight with my Elder. It's been a month but the Council has not mention it. They're okay without an Elder? Who will they appoint next and what will they do? Their actions makes me worry. What if words get out? How would everyone see me?

"Duvessa," I blink and look at the District Three Elder. She holds a cup with only three sticks.

"Zuleima should pick, not me," I protest. I just want the last stick.

"It's okay, since she isn't here, you will pick," she pushes the cup to me so I randomly take one out. I peek at the number and it's two. Ugh, great. "Now that you have have picked a stick, your number is here on this board."

Once she moves out the way, I notice the black chalk board. There's a bracket and number two... Is against number six. Who is number six? We all look at each other but no one dares to speak their number.

Suddenly, the air around us got tense. I take a few steps back and put the stick in my pocket.

"Well, I have to go tell Zuleima. I'll catch you all later at lunch," I bid them. So quickly, their attitudes change. They smile and wave at me before I leave.

Zuleima, we are so screwed.