A Little Happy Moment

Ellera

Ezekiel did his own little traveling and found a big village. We took the teens there and look around.

"We're sorry, but we have to leave you all here. We still have things to take care of so please watch yourselves and your friends," Duvessa tells them. They all look sad but they understand. The teens thank us then leave to walk around. The people in the village did ask us some questions but Femi and Phoebe took care of it.

"I'm sorry, can I go with you guys?" Kit ask. I give him a smile.

"It's dangerous. You can't come with us," I tell him.

"I know I can't manipulate yet but soon. Very soon. So can I?"

"No can do," Phoebe comes forward. "Our enemies are strong, stronger than us if possible, so you won't be much of a help."

"I can be a distraction," he suggest. We both shake our heads.

"That's one way to die," Duvessa comes forward and so did Ezekiel.

"Well um, just let me travel with you all. I don't have anyone else."

"You can stay here with your friends," Phoebe recommends.

"I... Fine," he huffs and stomp away.

"What's his problem?" Phoebe ask.

We all turn back to face each other except for Ezek. He wander off somewhere.

"What if there's more buildings out there like that?" Duvessa asks. It's possible. Colos is huge, it's endless. It's probably why they were able to get two hundred kids each year to add onto the districts. Older people reaching the age of twenty gets send away and never return. It must be how the Council populate the district land. It's horrific. Did they also erase our memories too? It must be why none of us never question about our lives, it never dawn to us.

"If so, we can always try to rescue them, but right now we still have our problem," Phoebe points at me then Duvessa and Femi look at me. I'm the problem? It's Zuleima!

"Right. We should get going then. Let me go find Ezek," Duvessa gave me a look I couldn't interpret then leaves.

"Well..." I trail off because I have nothing to say. Femi crosses her arms and trade looks with Phoebe. They seem to be sending messages in their heads. I want to know...

"Ellera," Phoebe got cut off by some villagers. They come up to us and our other two group members are behind them.

"Please girls, stay with us tonight. We want to celebrate and thank you for releasing these children," an old water man ask us. His people made sure to make us feel guilty if we say no.

"Of course! Sure!" I answer for all of us. Duvessa furrows her brows like she disagrees but it's not all about her.

"Awesome! Thank you again!" The man and his people left. A couple minutes later, they put all their firewoods in the middle then light it up. Ah, a celebration it is.

"Ellera," Duvessa comes beside me and whisper. "We can't stay here."

"It's only for a night, it wouldn't hurt," I tap her nose and walk away.

Food and water are abundant. I ate and drank til I'm full. I think everyone did too except for Duvessa. She looks alert. I slide beside her, rest my head on her shoulder, then look at the fire.

"There'll be a stop to this," I tell her to ease her down. She sighs and wrap an arm around me.

"At what cost?"

"Any cost," I answer.

"I..." I wait for Duvessa to finish her sentence but she didn't.

"What is it?"

"Nothing."

I snuggle against her but Ezek had to come and ruin the moment.

"Duvessa and Ellera, have some," he hands over two large cups. We take it then ask what it is. "Not sure..."

"Then why would we drink it?" Duvessa ask. Ugh, stop being serious for once. I drink from my cup. It was a big sip and once the liquid pass down my throat, it burns. I cough hard and spit the rest out. Duvessa drops her cup and hold my arms, asking if I'm okay.

"I'm okay, it taste spicy," I tell her. Ezek laugh hysterically.

"It's alcohol," he manages to tell us. What's that? Duvessa takes my cup and pour the yellowish water out.

"It's not good," she tells me.

A few minutes later, Ezek comes back with cups. Duvessa and I look at him. We're not doing this again.

"They feel disrespected that you didn't finish your drinks earlier. They want me to give this to you and they're going to watch," he informs us. We look at them and indeed they're watching.

"We aren't drinking," Duvessa flicks her hand, telling Ezek to go away. I shake my head and take a cup. I drown in and ignore the pain. "Ellera!" Duvessa takes the cup away and I gag and cough. Who drinks this?!

"Not bad, your turn Duvessa," Ezek extend the cup.

"I'll take it if you won't," I tell her as I hold my throat. She looks at me like I'm crazy and maybe I am.

"Go for it," she challenge me.

I take the other cup and drink it all. This time, I didn't feel the burn. It taste just like water.

"They look satisfy," Ezek said. I look to the villagers and raise my cup. Ezek takes it away and Duvessa and I look back to each other. I let out a burp and she turns away covering her nose.