Chapter 42

"It's been a while since I have just... been around wolves," Seokjin comments, settling his head back on his paws. "Or been a wolf. I've missed it. It feels... freeing."

Jeongguk glanced over at him, examining the way Seokjin's amber eyes glistened as he stared out at the trees covered with snow and icicles. "I couldn't do that. I love being a wolf."

Seokjin shifted his head, meeting Jeongguk's amber eyes. "When I was younger, I used to want to never be around humans. Everything was too hard, but then... I don't know. I found a place amongst them."

"You're still a wolf," Jeongguk persisted, raising his head and chuffing in his throat. Seokjin licks at some of the snow on his paw. "How can you not feel the pull to be what you truly are?"

"I don't know," Seokjin murmurs, voice a soft caress in his mind as he turned back to look towards the sky. "When I left my pack, it wasn't because I wanted to. I just... I had this dream and I followed it. Somewhere along the way though... I started to forget where I came from. My family pack never... it never felt right. Like I was missing something."

Jeongguk's ear flicks, confused. He felt that way amongst his pack but felt sated when Jimin and Taehyung were there. Always offering their companionship.

"Did you find it? Among the humans."

Seokjin shook his big, furry head. "Not amongst the humans. But... I did find it in a human. Yoongi first. The first human I befriended when I left my family pack, and then Namjoon." Seokjin pauses. "I'm grateful for you, you know."

Jeongguk's tail hit the snow, tucking his back legs under his body and warming his cold belly. He stared towards Seokjin, confused. "Grateful? For what?"

Seokjin craned his head, head cocking to the side so that his fuzzy ear fell over in front of his amber eye. "For caring for Yoongi. All these years he has been alone, pushing everyone away because he considers himself broken." The brown wolf shook out his fur, the accumulating snow being sent flying. "No matter what Namjoon and I did, we couldn't console him. Now, here you are. And he's smiling. Actually smiling, and his scent isn't so bitter anymore. He seems content."

Jeongguk looks at his front paws, damp from the snow, and the fur a little bunched together. He wasn't sure how to answer, ears pinned to his head, and tail pausing in their movements.

"Yoongi is home," Jeongguk admitted quietly, a whine catching in his throat. "He didn't just save me from Lead Beta or... or even infection."

Seokjin's chest rumbles with a low growl, amber eyes serious. "Do you love him?"

"He is my courting partner," Jeongguk growls back, a deep rumble echoing in his throat. "I care for him greatly. Not just my Omega, not just as my Alpha. I care for him for being Yoongi. For how he treats me. He is- he is... something so special."

Seokjin was quiet. Just examining the way Jeongguk's amber eyes glistened, staring towards the half-frozen creek and tail swayed thoughtfully behind him.

He turned away. "The moon is still the moon." Seokjin paused, wolven lips lifting in an equivalent to a human smile. "Even in all the phases."

Jeongguk's ear twitches, staring towards the older Omega in slight surprise. "Do you love Namjoon?"

"He is my moon," Seokjin says, his squeaky laughter echoing inside Jeongguk's head. Jeongguk looked away. "I didn't mean to get so serious. I just... I want you to know that Yoongi is like my Namjoon. He isn't like other humans. He won't... he won't leave you for another."