Chapter 115

Jeongguk felt it first.

An ache that bloomed in the back of his mind, muted, since it wasn't his own. A strangled yelp fled his throat as he was thrown back from the force of the blast, skidding away from what had once been his home.

Then, the ringing starts.

A tinny that pierced his ears, blocking out the sounds of rocks crumbled, voice shouting, and cracks of gunfire. It rang and rang, demanding to be heard, but all Jeongguk saw was chaos.

And death.

So much death.

Jeongguk never truly felt like he belonged with his family pack. It had never really been home, but it was still his family. It was where he was raised by his mother's gentle affection, and his father's brutal teeth in his scruff.

It was destroyed.

When his blotchy vision cleared, the ringing still loud within his ears, he jerked his eyes around. Desperate to find his mate, to find his pack. He couldn't feel any loss over either Bond, but his wolf was restless, frightened.

The dens had caved in, the wolves scattered, and many of their bodies littering the ground where the snow had melted and blood had become the fruit of the grass. The stench was nauseating.

Shaking out his head to clear the haziness, Jeongguk staggers forwards, away from where he had been pushed against the trees. He tried to find silver fur- fur he knew better than his own- and couldn't make out anything over the rush of bodies and smoke.

It was then Jeongguk saw it.

His father was lying against the rocks, golden eyes blown open, tongue hanging from his limbs, and the rock lying against his back legs that had been crushed. There was no movement, not even a twitch, and Jeongguk blanched.

His mother lay near him, so still, slate grey fur matted with grime and dust, and her chest never rose once, and she never opened her eyes from where they remained closed.

"Mom?"

The words were slurred, even in his mind. He stumbles forwards, legs quaking at his weight, but he presses forwards and ignores the rush of bodies around him.

"Mom..."

She was gone, Jeongguk had known that from one glance at her mate. His father. The grief tightened his vocal chords, horrified and frightened, and where was Yoongi? Where was his mate? Where was his pack?

Raising his head, he felt as if he was stuck behind one of those American movies that he had been watching with Taehyung and Jimin. An outsider watching in at the humans that emerged from the forest, laden with their guns, and aiming at the rest of what had once been his family pack.

He couldn't feel Yoongi; there was an emptiness on his end, one that made his blood run cold. He could only feel a muted pain in the back of his head, warning him that Yoongi had been hurt, on his head.

"Jeongguk, move!"

Startling at the sound of Taehyung, Jeongguk jolts. He bucks his head up and stares as Taehyung comes barreling towards him at top speeds, his bad paw practically dragging behind him.

Jimin was right behind him, eyes wild and frightened, and his usually sweet scent was beyond soured. It was then that Jeongguk noticed Namjoon, locked in a fierce tug of war with a human, and his jaws clamped tightly around the man's gun.

Taehyung pauses inches from him. "Guk, we have to get out of here!"

"No," Jeongguk snaps, "I have to find Yoongi!"