30. Judgemental

You were walking down the streets in Latvia together with the boys. When you were little, your mom would send you over to your aunt who lived in the countryside. Of course you weren't 100% sure, but you always thought she did it because she saw how much you needed a break from your father. She was a mutant, just like you and your father, but they weren't close at all. She was kind and patient when you were training together, giving you loads of room to explore within safe limits. You loved her and the moments you shared together.

You had left things with Zemo, nothing more happened between the two of you. You liked him, but was tired of fighting him. Being with Zemo was like hitting your head to the wall then asking why it hurt so much. It didn't matter how you felt when the two of you were intimate, if you couldn't even be yourself. Sam didn't know what you were, but you still knew that if you at some point chose to tell him, he wouldn't blink an eye. Bucky adored every little aspect of it and he already knew the worst sides of you, but still he trusted and loved you. That's the form of safety you needed.

"I heard what became of Sokovia.. Cannibalized by its neighbours, before the land was cleared of rubble, erased from the map. I don't suppose any of you bothered visiting the memorial?" Zemo asked, but his tone was judgemental from the beginning. The boys were already uncomfortable as you could see the guilt sneak in on them, when you opened your mouth he already had answered the question himself "Of course not. Why would you" he said in an annoyed tone

"I have been" you shot in, your voice was soft, but you would be lying if you said you weren't a bit irritated at how Zemo talked to the three of you. It was only because of the subject we were talking about, that you chose to speak carefully. The three of them stop up, turn around and look at you.

"Tony sent me to Sokovia every 6th May to lay down flowers and pay our respects" you said with more confidence. Zemo seemed to be searching for words as he found himself to be speechless. If you weren't fighting Zemo anymore, you would like to be honest with him as much as possible. That meant correcting him when he was wrong, even if it could be uncomfortable for you to say and for him to hear.

"I'm gonna go on a walk," Bucky said and cut the silence between the four of you. You looked up at him a bit confused. He wasn't exactly the type of guy who went on walks for fun.

"You good?" Sam checked up on him

"Yeah. I'll see you guys in a bit" Bucky answers and started to walk down the street. You didn't move and just took notice of where he went from the door before following the others. It wasn't that you didn't trust him, because now you finally did, but you were more afraid that something could've happened to him, that he wasn't telling you guys.

"I don't like this" you mumbled to yourself when you came up the stairs.

"C'mon, the place is more than good enough" Zemo said and looked around.

You rolled your eyes at him and walked towards the windows. It was no glimpse of the metal man, which meant he either was hiding or walked a fair distance. Neither were really preferred, but you were prepared for both.

"You think he is up to something?" Sam asked and walked towards you.

"Or something is up to him" you said and looked up at Sam.

"I'm gonna go and check on him" You quickly added on, but Sam took your hand and stopped you.

"You gotta give him 30 minutes at least. Trust him" Sam said before he looked down at his phone that was ringing. You looked away. 30 minutes was fine, that meant you could get your batons ready incase you would need them. You gave Sam a little nod before he went to the next room to take the call. You sat down with your tech tools, batons and started fixing them. Zemo was in the kitchen area staring at you from afar.

"As far as I know, and beg me pardon if I'm wrong here, it's only one Sokovian person who can read minds, and that's a she, so you're already eliminated from the list" you said, clearly hinting to Wanda. He laughed low and walked over to you with a cup of tea for you, but you didn't touch it. You were too busy fixing the batons, then to sit with Zemo drinking tea and talk gossip. "You can learn a lot about a person just by looking" he said and took a sip of his cup.

"Ohh, please tell me" you challenged him.

He moved so his body was towards yours. He wanted to see your reaction to his words.

"You meet James newly"

You rolled your eyes at him. Was this all he got. "Zemo, that's just simple math" you pointed out and took on holsters for the batons. Normally you wouldn't need holsters, but since you were walking out in public, you would need somewhere to hide the batons while walking around.

"But you met the Winter Soldier before, and you were close.. That's why you act so irrational right now"

You looked at Zemo with anger for a second before you reminded yourself that you needed to focus. You didn't like it when he was analyzing you like this. You stood up and walked into his bedroom where his wardrobe is. Zemo followed you closely leaning into the door frame. You found a grey suit jacket, that was way too big for you and took it on before you walked past Zemo again. "Where are you going?" he asked with a cheeky smile. He was happy that he for once was right about you. Normally he was surrounded by people who were easier to read, or rather control, but with you it was mostly a guessing game. You ignored Zemo.

"Sam, I'm leaving now!" you yelled and went for the door.