three

3 || the hippogriff

THE SLYTHERIN Quartet were walking to Care of Magical Creatures behind Hagrid who seemed, for a second, to be taking them into the Forbidden Forest. However at the last moment he turned in and led the year in a paddock of sorts.

"Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" Hagrid called out, "That's it. Make sure yeh can see. Now firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books."

"How?" said Draco.

"Eh?"

"How do we open our books?" The blonde boy repeated as he took out his copy of The Monster Book of Monsters which was bound shut with a length of rope.

"Hasn'- Hasn' anyone bin able ter open their books?" Hagrid asked around and the students shook their heads, "Yeh've got to stroke 'em. Look-"

He took Hermione's book from her and took off the rope holding it together, it of course tried to bite at Hagrid at first, but he ran a finger down the books spine causing it to lay still in his hand.

"Oh, how silly we've all been!" Draco sneered, "We should've stroked them! Why didn't we guess?"

"Shut it Malfoy." Adelaide hissed from behind the bleached cabbage.

"I- I thought they were funny." Hagrid said uncertainly to Hermione.

"Oh tremendously funny! Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off." said Draco.

"Shut up Malfoy." Harry said quietly, he just wanted Hagrid's first lesson to be a success but mr daddy issues was making it very hard.

"Righ' then." Hagrid clapped his hands together, "So yeh've got yer books an'... an'... now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go get 'em. Hang on."

He strode away from the class and out of the forest leaving the students alone to brew whatever drama they could.

"God this place is going to the dogs," Draco said loudly, "That oaf teaching classes, my father'll have a fit when I tell him-"

Adelaide rolled her eyes but before she could snap at him, Harry got to it first.

"Shut up Malfoy." He said.

"Careful Potter, there's a Dementor behind you-"

Lavender Brown squealed and pointed to the opposite side of the paddock.

Trotting towards them were a dozen of the most bizarre creatures most of them had ever seen. They had the bodies, hind legs and tails of horses, but the front legs, wings, and heads of what seemed to be giant eagles, with cruel, steel coloured beaks and large, brilliantly, orange eyes. The talons on their front legs were half a foot long and deadly looking. Each of the beasts had a thick leather collar around its neck, which was attached to a long chain, of which the ends were held in the hands of Hagrid.

"Hippogriffs!" He said happily, waving a hand at them, "Beau'iful, aren' they?"

Adelaide could see what Hagrid meant, after you get past their terrifying first look you could start to appreciate them.

"So," said Hagrid, "if yeh wan ter come a bit nearer."

No one, besides Adelaide seemed to be moving closer, but even then Theo pulled her back and grabbed her protectively.

"Are you bloody crazy?! Look at it!" He exclaimed.

"I am looking at it," She shrugged, "It's pretty cute."

"No one?" Hagrid asked with a pleasing look.

"I will." Harry and Adelaide said together.

"Alright! Harry and Adelaide! Up yeh come!"