fifty six

56 || warnings

AFTER THE events of Umbridge's lessons, Adelaide had been called into Dumbledore's office. An office she hated too much.

"Miss Black. I heard about the spectacle in Professor Umbridge's lesson. Is there anything you want to add?" Dumbledore asked as he took a seat.

"Nope," Adelaide said, leaning back, "I'm sure you've been told the whole story. There was a... sort of rebellion against her teaching methods. I took no part in it, of course, I acted with grace and good behaviour."

"Good," He said, "That's what I need. I'm sure you've already formulated the same plan that I have. I want you to get close to her Miss Black. Be on her side. The ministry's planted her here, now it's our turn to strike back."

"Yes sir," Adelaide said, "Now, is that all? Because I'm quite famished."

With a nod of his head, Adelaide took off, down the stairs, across the lengthy halls and to her common room where Lucas was sat waiting for her.

"The others have gone down to dinner," he said, "What did Dumbledore need?"

"An insider."

"For what? Umbridge?"

Adelaide nodded, "Making deals with the devil. If I could even give her the courtesy of that name."

"You'll need a friend with you," Lucas smiled, "I've been told I'm quite the schemer."

The blonde laughed, "Come on, shithead. I'm seriously going to eat you if I don't get food soon."

The Great Hall was tense. There were whisperings everywhere about Harry Potter and his outburst in Umbridge's lesson.

"People can't seriously think Diggory died just like that?" Alex frowned as she picked at her food.

Theo shrugged, "They're in denial, and their parents have probably been trying to steer them off the the truth the whole summer."

"It's mental," Adelaide said, sitting down, "They all believed him last year but now, the belief is gone. What does the ministry know anyway? Were they there that night? Did they see what happened?"

"Maybe if you stepped forward, told your side," Astoria suggested, "Although, people are probably less likely to trust you. No offence, but like, given your family."

Adelaide nodded, "That's why I'm keeping out of this drama, I don't need to give the ministry a reason to take me out of school or in the worst case, put me in Azkaban. My hair can't survive that."

The group fell silent for a while. It had never been this awkward before, the unspoken tension whenever they sat down together. And while they hated it, there were things they couldn't tell, no matter how much they wanted to.

After dinner ended and the plates were cleared, Adelaide parted from the group to go to the library before it closed.

"Late night reading? Didn't realise you were such a fan."

"And I didn't realise you were such a stalker, Thomas Price," Adelaide smiled, "Are you following me?"

"My mum always told me to follow beautiful things," He said, "Although I think I took a wrong turn somewhere back there. I was trying to find Umbridge."

Adelaide rose an eyebrow at him, "You're hilarious."

"I know," Thomas said smugly, "What are you looking for? Anything I can help with?"

"I don't know. Can you read latin or french or whatever language this book will be in because for some reason, mysterious books are never in English."

Thomas stared back at Adelaide, "I can look at some pictures."

"Just don't be distracting."

Thomas was very distracting.

"So what are you looking for? You never told me."

Adelaide pulled her hand back from the bookshelf, "Do you ever stop asking questions?"

"No," Thomas said, "But if you answer then maybe I'll run out of things to ask."

"Fine, I'm looking for a book about dark magic. Magic that probably hasn't been practiced in centuries. And if it's not here, then it's probably in Dumbledore's office."

The boy pulled a face, "Why do you want to know about dark magic? Isn't it dangerous?"

"Hence the name 'dark magic'," Adelaide said, "Now, I've answered your question, maybe you can start looking over there for anything."

With a sulk in his step, Thomas moved to the other side of the library, scanning the books on the endless shelves for one book he wouldn't even know. Meanwhile, Adelaide went over to Madam Pince.

"You've met Umbridge, right? Crazy lady, wears pink. You know what she asked us to do as homework on the first day. Research any dark magic so we know never to dwell on it again. Honestly, she wants to lock all our skills in some tiny box and never open them again."

Madam Pince sighed, "If I show you a book on dark magic will you leave me alone Miss Black?"

"Of course, and I would never dare go back on a deal."

As the two crossed over to the restricted section, Thomas sent the blonde girl a thumbs up as he found a muggle fairytale book.

"Miss Black, the contents of these books are not for the eyes of everyone. You will write your book report or study on this and return it straight back to me." Madam Pince ordered, her harsh eyes staring down Adelaide.

"Yes Madam Pince," Adelaide nodded, putting the book in her bag, "Thank you."

"Now go, the library's shutting."

Dragging Thomas behind her, Adelaide left with the book now in her hand, "What are you reading it for? I know Umbridge didn't set any homework on that."

"It's my business, and I don't want you getting wrapped up in the problems of my life," Adelaide said, "See you tomorrow?"

"Night Adelaide Black," Thomas said, "I better not see you replaced with an evil witch by breakfast time."

Rolling her eyes, Adelaide sent a wave and made her trek down to the dungeons. It was there she came across Snape, eyeing the book sneaking out of her bag.

"I'm going to pretend I haven't seen anything, Miss Black," he drawled, "If you have questions, please come to me instead of the books."

Adelaide was left with an astounded look on her face, did the teacher who hated her the most just let her off and offer help. She convinced herself she was dreaming because by the next morning he was shouting about her tie not being done properly.

After a painfully long day of boring lessons and endless reminders about their OWLs at the end of the year, Adelaide finally fell onto the sofa in the common room with a groan.

"You aren't with Theo?" Alex asked, "The team went down to spy on the Gryffindor tryouts."

Adelaide shook her head, "I'm too tired and not bothered by cheating tactics this year. I just want to sleep."

"We haven't even gotten past the first week back," Alex said, falling down next to her, "Is there something else on your mind?"

The blonde sighed, "You can't tell anyone this. Promise me Alex."

"I promise, what going on?"

"Before the summer, I was taken into Dumbledore's office, my mum and Reg were there," Adelaide began, "They told me-"

"What? Come on Ads."

"My mum isn't actually my mum, Alex," Adelaide whispered, her voice breaking, "My real mum died in the Wizarding War, and Marlene took me in to protect me."

"Holy shit," Alex breathed out, "Who was she?"

Adelaide had already said too much, and with Voldemort back and Alex staying with the Malfoy's, she couldn't risk the death eaters hurting Alex, "I don't know. They wouldn't tell me."

Alex wrapped her arms around Adelaide, "If you ask me, you couldn't have gotten a better mum than Marls. She's amazing."

"I know, Alex. And I don't think of her as the woman who adopted me, she's my mum. And no one can tell me any different."