ninety three

93 || pancakes

"Would you say that you wish you hadn't come back?"

As much as Adelaide used to enjoy her therapy sessions, now she wanted to throw herself out of the window.

"No. I'm glad I'm alive, I get to see my family."

The doctor scribbled something down in her little book, "And Mr Nott? What would you say your feelings are towards him?"

"I wanted him to come back, but he didn't. There's nothing I can do to change that," Adelaide said, "So, the only thing I can do is move on."

"Adelaide, giving me responses that you have practiced isn't healthy. This should be about honesty."

Adelaide sighed, "Fine. I died, I accepted my fate given I was bleeding my entire body's supply of blood, my best friend had just been killed in front of me, I have been betrayed too many times to count on my hands and feet, I have been on anti-depressants for a year, there's a war going on and I can't walk without crutches. I hate my life and wish I could go back to when no of this happened. Happy?"

"Do you want to go into any of that?"

"Not particularly."

The doctor sighed, "There's nothing we can do to change the past. Even if we could, how would we know that just because we stop it from happening at that moment, it won't happen at another time? This isn't about me pushing you, annoying you with questions, I want you to be able to heal so that in the future, you can be you. Just like Rome wasn't built in a day, we can't build our mental health back up in a day."

"So, this is going to be a reoccurring thing?"

"No. This is an evaluation, Adelaide. You won't see me again after this, which I am sure you will be happy about," She said, "But from what I can tell, you're healing your mind even if you don't think you are. So, take it a step at a time, just like learning to walk. If you don't want to talk to people right now, that's fine, you have been through something that most people can never understand. Slowly rebuild yourself, and if you want, you can change who you are to fit it."

Adelaide nodded, "Let me get this straight, what you're saying is, after this, I can go back to life, not talk to people, and just completely change myself? Like become an A class bitch?"

It was obvious the doctor was as happy as Adelaide was when she finally left, probably writing on her notes how she wanted to go into early retirement.

"How was it?"

Adelaide looked at Regulus, "Have you ever had to speak to someone about returning from death?"

"Can't say I have."

"It was shit."

Regulus nodded, "Sirius wants to see you."

Sirius had wanted to see Adelaide since she had woken up, this was nothing new, "I don't want to see him at the moment."

"And Harry? He goes to the Dursleys soon."

"I'll see him at school."

There was a silence as the car drove down the countryside road. Adelaide didn't want to talk, and Regulus didn't know what to say.

"Are you excited for Quidditch?"

She looked at him, then her crutches in the back, "I don't think I'll be playing this year."

Regulus shrugged, "You have a month and a bit to heal. Knowing you, you'll be whizzing around the pitch in no time."

Adelaide wanted to say she didn't want to play, that it wouldn't be the same without Theo being her support or Adrian shouting at her for daydreaming at practice. But instead, she let out a hum, looking out of the window at the passing trees.