ninety seven

97 || snape and the dark arts

Adelaide was up early. Not that she'd gotten much sleep. By the time seven came around she decided that she wasn't going to mope in bed anymore and started getting ready, eventually going down to breakfast before most of the school had arrived.

"My mum can get you some eye cream."

Her head spun around, "What?"

Draco shrugged from down the table, "The dark circles. You aren't sleeping. My mum can help."

"I don't need help from you."

"Fine. Look terrible, I don't care," Draco said, continuing with his breakfast.

Adelaide muttered "twat" under her breath and was saved by Alex coming in, "You were up early."

"Yeah, had a shower and felt really hungry."

She seemed to accept it.

Once the table had almost filled up, Snape made his way with timetables for the year, "Black. You've been cleared for Potions, Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration and Ancient Runes."

"Cool," She muttered, pocketing the timetable.

"I expect good results, you're on of my better students." Snape said and walked off leaving the others confused.

Astoria was the first to speak, "Did he just compliment you?"

"Definitely not," Adelaide said, "He just wants the House cup."

Ancient Runes was okay. The only issue was that Adelaide shared the class with Hermione who wanted to speak to her the entire lesson, not even about gossip. And once she had left, a gaggle of second years apprehended her to ask about Quidditch trials.

"I'll put a notice in the common room, just keep an eye out and stop pestering me, okay?" They sulked away to their lessons and as did Adelaide to Defence Against the Dark Arts with Snape, how she wasn't going to enjoy it.

"So, I told him-"

Adelaide paused, looking at Blaise, "Sorry, what?"

"Are you okay?" He asked, genuine concern in his voice, "You look pale and anxious."

She refitted her bag over her shoulder and nodded, "I'm fucking spectacular."

The classroom door opened as she spoke, and Snape stepped into the corridor, his sallow face framed as ever by two curtains of greasy black hair. Silence fell over the queue immediately.

"Inside," he said.

Blaise looked over to Adelaide who was trying her hardest not to throw herself out of the window at the sight of Snape, and they entered. The room had changed drastically from last year, as it did every year. There was no smell of Umbridge and no distinct meows from cats, instead it was dark and gloomy, the curtains drawn and lit by candlelight's.

The Slytherins, which included Adelaide, Blaise, Draco, Alex, Crabbe and Goyle, sat together at the back of the classroom in one corner. Looking like a gang of hooligans with the way they stared at others.

"I have not asked you to take out your books," said Snape, closing the door and moving to face the class from behind his desk, "I wish to speak to you, and I want your fullest attention."

Alex started a rock, paper, scissors game with Adelaide.

"You have had five teachers in this subject so far, I believe."

Adelaide leaned into Alex, "Like he hasn't wished death upon all of them."

"Naturally, these teachers will all have had their own methods and priorities. Given this confusion I am surprised so many of you scraped an O.W.L. in this subject. I shall be even more surprised if all of you manage to keep up with the N.E.W.T. work, which will be much more advanced."

Snape set off around the edge of the room, speaking now in a lower voice; the class craned their necks to keep him in view.

"The Dark Arts," said Snape, "are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible."

No wonder Snape had wanted this job for so many years, he was talking as if he was married to the Dark Arts. Adelaide was actually sure he was.

"Your defences," said Snape, a little louder, "must therefore be as flexible and inventive as the arts you seek to undo. These pictures" — he indicated a few of them as he swept past — "give a fair representation of what happens to those who suffer, for instance, the Cruciatus Curse" — he waved a hand toward a witch who was clearly shrieking in agony — "feel the Dementor's Kiss" — a wizard lying huddled and blank-eyed, slumped against a wall — "or provoke the aggression of the Inferius" — a bloody mass upon the ground.

"Has an Inferius been seen, then?" asked Parvati, "Is it definite, is he using them?"

"The Dark Lord has used Inferi in the past," said Snape, "which means you would be well-advised to assume he might use them again. Now . . ."

He set off again around the other side of the classroom toward his desk, and again, they watched him as he walked, his dark robes billowing behind him.

". . . you are, I believe, complete novices in the use of nonverbal spells. What is the advantage of a nonverbal spell?"

Hermione's hand shot into the air. Snape took his time looking around at everybody else, making sure he had no choice, before saying curtly, "Very well — Miss Granger?"

"Your adversary has no warning about what kind of magic you're about to perform," said Hermione, "which gives you a split-second advantage."

"An answer copied almost word for word from The Standard Book of Spells, Grade Six," said Snape dismissively, "but correct in essentials. Yes, those who progress to using magic without shouting incantations gain an element of surprise in their spellcasting. Not all wizards can do this, of course; it is a question of concentration and mind power which some" — his gaze lingered maliciously upon Harry once more — "lack."

"You will now divide," Snape went on, "into pairs. One partner will attempt to jinx the other without speaking. The other will attempt to repel the jinx in equal silence. Carry on."

Adelaide wouldn't say she was excellent, but she would say she was a pro. Defence Against the Dark Arts was her favourite subject, she had already taught herself basically everything.

"Ten points to Slytherin," Snape said as he made his way to Alex and Adelaide, "Black and Lestrange have managed to achieve non-verbal spells. Anyone else? No."

He completely skipped over Hermione who, after some struggle, had been able to repel Neville's jinx silently, a feat which would've earned house points, but Adelaide wasn't complaining.

"Pathetic, Weasley," said Snape, alerting the whole class. "Here — let me show you —"

He turned his wand on Harry so fast that Harry reacted instinctively; all thought of nonverbal spells forgotten, he yelled, "Protego!" His Shield Charm was so strong Snape was knocked off-balance and hit a desk. The class had looked around and now watched as Snape righted himself, scowling.

"Do you remember me telling you we are practicing nonverbal spells, Potter?"

"Yes," said Harry stiffly.

"Yes, sir."

"There's no need to call me 'sir,' Professor."

The laugh had left her mouth before she could register it and Adelaide was slapped by Draco who looked absolutely astounded. Several people gasped. Others however, Ron, Dean, and Seamus, grinned appreciatively.

"Detention, Saturday night, my office," said Snape. "I do not take cheek from anyone, Potter . . . not even 'the Chosen One.' "

Adelaide caught Harry's eye by accident and was met by a crazy amount of confidence. Harry Potter, the once shy and hated her kid, winked at her. Like a proper wink. Not a subtle one.

Unfortunately for her, both Blaise and Alex had seen it, and the teasing began.

AUTHORS NOTE -

I'm backkkk, tbh I don't really know why I was gone so long, but oh well. sixth year here we come.