thirty nine

39 || dad talk

ADELAIDE FROWNED as she read the letter again. Sirius wanted to meet up, to talk. Adelaide didn't like it. Why couldn't they talk in the fire like before? Or through a letter? It's much safer and less awkward.

"What's that? Letter from Padfoot?" Lucas asked as he flopped onto the sofa next to her. Adelaide nodded then snapped her head up, "How do you know about padfoot?"

The brunette shrugged, "He's my uncle. Mum let him stay at ours in the summer considering you didn't know he was innocent and he's a massive pain in the ass so he wouldn't tell you. I thought you knew."

Adelaide folded the letter back up, "Does he want you to meet with him too?" Lucas shook his head, "I'm not his daughter. C'mon Adelaide, you've barely spoken to him since you found out he was innocent."

"He erased my memory of me finding out he was innocent the first time, which I was too naive to realise he was just a coward at that point, he bought Harry a firebolt and not his own daughter. And I can't look at him because it reminds me that I can never see Sirius as my father after all these years."

Lucas smiled sadly, "I understand you. Even if my dad came back now with a great explanation on why he was gone all these years, I don't think I could forgive him. Maybe it's just in our Black family DNA to have daddy issues."

Adelaide snickered, "Come with me? Please." He sighed but agreed, knowing how hard it would be for his cousin.

. . .

THE TWO COUSINS trailed along the foot of a mountain when they met Sirius in his animagus form, "Hiya Scruffy, brought you some food." Sirius gave a bark as his tail wagged and he began leading them up the mountain.

They followed Sirius higher, up onto the mountain itself. For nearly half an hour they climbed a steep, winding, and stony path, following Sirius's wagging tail, sweating in the sun, the shoulder straps of Lucas' bag cutting into his shoulders with the weight of the food and the essentials Adelaide had made him bring. When they finally reached the top, Sirius ran out of sight and reappeared back in his human form.

The clean shaven man smiled at his daughter who gave him a short hug, Adelaide was also happy he smelt like a human now, then the man moved onto his nephew who he hasn't seen since summer.

"Alright!" Adelaide said, "We stole some of Blaise's cologne because Mrs Zabini buys the best and I can tell you've been using Regulus' so I'm saving you from never dating anyone ever again. We also came prepared for a picnic although we saw Harry, Hermione and Ron so I assume you've already eaten. But thirteen years without proper meals makes up for it!"

Sirius laughed, "I appreciate it. And I'm bloody starving so get out the food."

They sat for a good half hour, talking about their Christmases and New Years and the First Task, Lucas and Adelaide purposefully skipping out all the drama alongside this so Sirius wouldn't report back to the responsible adults.

"So you're staying at Grimmauld Place?" Adelaide asked, "I'm sure Kreacher isn't too pleased about that." Sirius shook his head, "Nope. That house elf hates me. Not to mention the portrait of my mother, I didn't miss that woman that's for sure."

The blonde smiled awkwardly, she knew she wouldn't be able to connect with her dad straight away but they were so different. "Well," Lucas announced, "We need to be off Sirius." The man nodded, "Ah yes. Don't want you getting in trouble with Snivellous."

Lucas laughed, "No that's only Adelaide and Theo," Adelaide nudged him harshly, "See you soon Padfoot," Adelaide said giving her father a small side hug, "I hope so mini foot. I love you."

Lucas slapped his cousin on the arm as soon as the black dog strutted out of sight, "You have daddy issues." Adelaide, who was still nursing her arm, scoffed, "I do not have daddy issues. If anything you have daddy issues Mr daddy issues."

"Who's got daddy issues?" Theo asked making the two jump, "What? Alex went on a date with Lila and I got bored with tweedle dee and tweedle dum."

Adelaide nodded, "Lucas has daddy issues!" She shouted and began running away as the other Black took a step toward her, "Adelaide McKinnon-Black I swear to Merlin I'm going to murder you and bury you so deep that no one, not even the rats, will find your body. And ten years later I'll dig out your bones and put them on display in my house so my children can laugh at you."

Theo stood there. Awkwardly. Judging. Questioning his life choices that led him up to this moment. "What the fuck is wrong with everyone today?!"

. . .

MONDAY MORNING followed with a frown. Alex was lay next to Adelaide who was staring at the ceiling. She had no commitments to anyone at the moment, and that felt great. Free.

"What time is it?" Alex muttered, her eyes not even open yet. Adelaide speeded over at her alarm clock turning off her walkman, "Ten past six. Go back to sleep, I'll wake you up at seven." The curly haired girl nodded and in a few minutes she was snoring quietly.

Adelaide pulled a blanket over her friend and grabbed a towel from her wardrobe before entering their bathroom. It smelt of a mixture of chemicals, but over time the blonde had gotten used to it. The shower turned on and as the water heated up, Adelaide changed out of her pyjamas. She pulled her hoodie over her head leaving her in a bedtime bra. Her eyes went over to her collarbones. She hated them. They were too prominent. Then to her stomach. She hated that to. It was too big. And her thighs, her arms. The key with confidence was faking it until you make it, and Adelaide McKinnon-Black would win first place if it was a competition.

Half an hour later, Adelaide emerged from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body. Astoria no longer slept in the room, neither girls knew where she slept but they also didn't care for her, they actually hadn't seen the girl in a while.

In her uniform and now french plaiting her hair, Alex finally stirred from her sleep, "Morning Nova." Adelaide nodded in her direction as she had a hair band in her mouth, "I was wondering if you'd finished the Potions homework? I just need the last questions." Adelaide spat out the toothpaste, "We had Potions homework?!"

AUTHORS NOTE —
im back guys! sorry i've been awol
for a while but here's a filler chapter
so i can ease you into the end of fourth
year lol.