fourty one

41 || the graveyard

LAURENT HAD walked away with Adelaide but walked back in alone. That meant something was wrong.

"Hey Alex," Theo whispered, "Keep an eye on Laurent. I'm gonna go look for Adelaide." Alex nodded as her eyes found Laurent who was now sat with the Delacour family.

Theo wondered around the outside of the stands where he assumed Laurent had taken Adelaide to talk but the blonde was nowhere in sight. He thought she might have gone back to the castle but she never would've left Fleur, especially on the last task. He was about to make his way back to the stands when he found Adelaide's wand in the grass. If there was one thing a witch or wizard would never leave behind it's their wand.

Adelaide had been taken.

. . .

ADELAIDE RUBBED HER head as she came to and her eyes adjusted to her surroundings. She wasn't in Hogwarts anymore, "What the he-" A crack sounded and Harry and Cedric appeared. Cedric was the first to spot Adelaide and ran over, "Adelaide? What- Are you okay? Why- How are you here?"

"I was behind the stands and that's the last thing I remember," She said being pulled to her feet but the older boy, "Where are we?"

"The cup was a portkey," Cedric stated, holding Adelaide so that she didn't collapse, "Is this a- a graveyard?"

The blonde dug in her pockets, "Fuck- I don't have my wand. I must've dropped it when-" Adelaide suddenly stopped.

"When what?" Harry asked, "Adelaide! What happened?" Before Adelaide could reply someone appeared out of the shadows. They couldn't make out the face but it appeared to be holding something in its arms. As the person got closer they made out the sight of clothes in his arms, and in that a baby. The two boys lowered their wands and the three looked at each other confused.

It stopped beside a towering marble headstone, only six feet from them. For a second. Harry and Cedric and the short figure simply looked at one another.
And then, without warning, Harry buckled in pain, groans of agony escaping his mouth.

Adelaide rushed to go to him but Cedric stopped her, taking her by the shoulders just as a high, cold voice said, "Kill the spare."

A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night: "Avada Kedavra!" Cedric's eyes widened and he turned around so quickly that Adelaide had no time to react because one second Cedric was holding her and the next he was collapsing in her arms.

"Cedric- Cedric come on! No, no, no," Adelaide looked over to Harry who had a face of relief yet horror, because Adelaide was alive but Cedric was dead, he knew that for sure.

Adelaide dragged Cedric out of the way as the figure conjured ropes locking Harry to the headstone, her head dropped onto Cedric's chest, a single tear escaping her eye, "What the hell is happening? What the hell is happening?"

She regretted looking up in the moment that the man she now recognised as Wormtail, one of her dads old friends who betrayed them, pulled back the clothing that hid the baby thing. It was utterly disgusting. It was hairless and scaly-looking, a dark, raw, reddish black. Its arms and legs were thin and feeble, and its face - no child alive ever had a face like that - flat and snakelike, with gleaming red eyes.

She wanted to throw up as Wormtail dropped it into a cauldron, a hiss sounded and the creature disappeared, "Bone of the father, unknowingly given, you will renew your son!" A crack sounded and Adelaide finally noticed Harry bound to the headstone, she had been so focused on Cedric that she didn't even realise that Harry might need help.

A fine trickle of dust rose into the air at Wormtail's command and fell softly into the cauldron. The diamond surface of the water broke and hissed; it sent sparks in all directions and turned a vivid, poisonous-looking blue. And now Wormtail was whimpering. He pulled a long, thin, shining silver dagger from inside his cloak. His voice broke into petrified sobs.
"Flesh - of the servant - w-willingly given - you will - revive - your master. " He stretched his right hand out in front of him - the hand with the missing finger. He gripped the dagger very tightly in his left hand and swung it upward.

Adelaide realised what was happening and shit her eyes right as to not have the memory embedded in her mind forever. Though she could not block out his scream that echoed through the night, a sound that would replay in her dreams and in wake.

She heard something fall to the ground, heard Wormtail's anguished panting, then a sickening splash, as something was dropped into the cauldron. Adelaide couldn't stand to look but the potion had turned a burning red; the light of it shone through Adelaide's closed eyelids. Wormtail was gasping and moaning with agony. "B-blood of the enemy . . . forcibly taken .. . you will. . . resurrect your foe." Adelaide looked up to see Wormtail standing right in front of Harry, "Harry! No-" But Wormtail simply raised his wand and Adelaide was sent flying backwards. She opened her eyes again to see Wormtail stumbling back to the cauldron and dripping blood into it.

The liquid within turned, instantly, a blinding white. Wormtail, his job done, dropped to his knees beside the cauldron, then slumped sideways and lay on the ground, cradling the bleeding stump of his arm, gasping and sobbing. The cauldron was simmering, sending its diamond sparks in all directions, so blindingly bright that it turned all else to velvety blackness. Nothing happened.

And then, suddenly, the sparks emanating from the cauldron were extinguished. A surge of white steam billowed thickly from the cauldron instead, obliterating everything in front of Adelaide, so that she couldn't see Wormtail or Harry or anything but vapor hanging in the air. For a moment, Adelaide had hoped it had gone wrong, but then, through the mist in front of him, he saw, with an icy surge of terror, the dark outline of a man, tall and skeletally thin, rising slowly from inside the cauldron. "Robe me," said the high, cold voice from behind the steam, and Wormtail, sobbing and moaning, still cradling his mutilated arm, scrambled to pick up the black robes from the ground, got to his feet, reached up, and pulled them one handed over his master's head.

"What the fuck?" Adelaide muttered to herself as the man stepped out of the cauldron to face Harry, by the look of terror on her friends face she knew it.

Voldemort had risen.

AUTHORS NOTE —
cedric's dead. voldy's back.
loving it :) and we're almost at the
end of gof to move onto my fav
ootp