Part 72

The next couple of days went by much quicker than they should have

The next couple of days went by much quicker than they should have. Sebin spent them hanging out with her family, old friends, walking around and pondering her life as a whole. And by that time, Christmas had already gone and it was already New Year's eve.

Sebin sighed, having just changed into some more comfortable clothing and having seated herself on the living room couch. 

She had excused herself from the huge New Years Eve party happening down the street as she wasn't feeling particularly well, therefore she had skipped the countdown and had arrived home at around 11:30 pm.

Although the arrival of the New Year didn't really mean anything for her, she kind of felt uncomfortable at the thought of it. New Year symbolizes a new beginning, a new life, and despite having decided to move on and actually start said new life, she couldn't help but feel like something was holding her back. Subconsciously she didn't really want to let go of all those months, despite all the sadness and anguish that tore her up inside.

It felt like hell.

But at that moment all Sebin could do was settle down in the dimly lit room, holding a cup of boiling hot tea in her hands and enjoy the peace and quiet of her family's home.

As she sat motionlessly in the silence, her ears picked up the small creaks and shuffling noises surrounding her. She ignored it at first- considering the age of the house, these kinds of sounds weren't very uncommon. It could've also been mice or something.

However, Sebin grew increasingly eerie and alert, the repetitiveness and strangeness of the noises finally adding up. Also, they had drew nearer, and she soundlessly put down her cup of tea onto the table beside the couch. With the same amount of carefulness, she stood up from the couch, feet bare and cold against the wooden planks under her feet. And with the sound of her heartbeat drumming in her ears, Sebin walked towards the doorframe leading to the dark hallway and looked out.

At first, everything seemed to be in place. The noises had paused, and the black space was quiet and too normal. But Sebin could feel that she wasn't alone, no, her time with NCT had heightened her senses and made her increasingly paranoid of situations like these. Her heart began drumming even faster as she wondered about what she should do, and that she was running out of time and the person could attack her at any given moment.

And everything seemed to have gone into slow-motion as she first spotted the strands of hair slowly appearing from behind another door down the hallway, and without a single second to spare, Sebin sprinted up the stairs. 

The footsteps chasing her soon ensued, and the girl found herself dashing to her room and dropping to her knees beside the desk. Breaths ragged and panicked, she tugged on one of the cabinets and grabbed a hold of the weapon inside it- her gun. It was already loaded.

And as the ancient clock in the living room struck twelve, as the crowd down the stairs cheered to celebrate the new year, and as a parade of fireworks boomed outside, Sebin turned around and-

*Bang*