Chapter XLI

《At the top of the lighthouse》
Salaman: Smell that? Whale oil. Stuff burns like a miracle from God.
Blackbeard: Can you make it work?
Salaman: Made by the English. Let's not get our hopes up.
Angelica: (To Jack while looking at the sky) The old moon in the arms of the new one. First of the summer. Perfect for hunting a mermaid's tear.
Blackbeard: (Sets fire to the whale oil)
Angelica: (Looking at the moon) Jack, you really love me?
Jack: (With one arm behind Angelica's shoulder) I- I guess so. (Lying without stop thinking about Ruby) What makes you think that I don't love you.
Angelica: (Without stop looking at the moon) I don't know. I'm scared to think that you're still thinking about that goddess and that you're lying to me.
Jack: (Lying) I would never do that, dearest.
Angelica: (Turns to see Jack) Then... I don't have to worry anymore about this? (Takes Flame's voodoo doll from a little bag)
Jack: (With a high-pitched voice) I don't think so.
Angelica: I'm glad to know that. (Throws the doll to the water near the rocks)
Jack: (Tries to hide his concern)
Angelica: It won't hurt that easily. (Puts her arm around Jack's shoulder)

(•••)

《At the HMS Providence》
Ruby was sitting on the deck looking at the stars and admiring the moon when suddenly she felt a blow to her arm. She first tried to find out what had hit her, but then, seeing her arm, she noticed that trident-shaped scar that she hadn't noticed before. Ruby at that moment remembered Blackbeard's voodoo knowledge and assumed that he was already in Whitecap Bay, so she decided to approach Barbossa to tell him what she suspected.

Ruby: (Gets near the helm) Barbossa!
Barbossa: (Concentrated at the helm) What's going on, Ruby?
Ruby: I think they got ahead of us! I'm sure the got to Whitecap Bay!
Barbossa: Who? The Spanish?
Ruby: (Denies) Blackbeard's crew. Queen Anne's Revenge.
Barbossa: Why are you so sure about that?
Ruby: Blackbeard has knowledge about voodoo!
Barbossa: So?
Ruby: (Moves her sleeve revealing the new scar on her shoulder)
Barbossa: Still don't get it.
Ruby: Nothing has bumped or scratched me on this trip. And suddenly I see this scar appearing out of nowhere!
Barbossa: (Looks confused)
Ruby: He has a voodoo doll of myself!
Barbossa: What do you want me to do? I will try to increase the speed but I will not be able to do much more.
Ruby: I'm going to go ahead.
Gibbs: (Aproaches surprised) What?!
Ruby: What you listened. I'm going to go ahead to Whitecap Bay.
Barbossa: How do you intend to do that, dearie?
Ruby: I will go flying. I'm going to transform into a phoenix as I have already done before.
Gibbs: But we're still very far from there!
Barbossa: If we continue at this speed, we'll be arriving by dawn approximately.
Ruby: As a phoenix I could arrive in no more than two hours!
Gibbs: But you're going to get tired! We're in the middle of the ocean! There are no resting points!
Ruby: I will take the risk!
Groves: Can I know what you're talking about? The first mate has the right to know, doesn't he?
Ruby: (Surreptitiously denies to Barbossa)
Barbossa: (Pointing at Ruby) This pirate over here is going to go ahead to Whitecap Bay!
Gibbs: (Looks angry at Barbossa)
Ruby: (Sighs and looks at Gibbs) It's not worth getting angry at Barbossa. He's not going to change.
Groves: (To Barbossa) You really trust in Flame?! She's the one who killed Lord Cutler Beckett years ago.
Barbossa: It was her idea. But now she has no option. If she betray us, she will suffer the consequences. (Takes a silver penknife from his pocket)