Chapter LXVIII

After a few hours walking through a fairly lush forest, the path they were following divided. One that was still quite green, through which the river kept running, and another path that was increasingly rocky but still surrounded by plants. It was the latter that Jack and Johari had to keep moving forward for.

Upon reaching the fork in the road
Johari: (Stops and compares the roads with the map in her hands)
Jack: Why do you stop? Are we already there?
Johari: Nope, we're still not there.
Jack: Then why do you stop?
Johari: We no longer have to keep going up.
Jack: (Confused) What do you mean?
Johari: We no longer have to keep on following the river. (Shows him the map)
Jack: (Looking at the map) Rocks...
Johari: (Affirming) Rocks.
Jack: Do you think we're getting closer.
Johari: With every step we take.

After another while advancing through the rocky but still leafy area, they soon came across a large door hidden behind some vines that covered a rocky wall.

Jack: Is this the one?
Johari: Do you see any other option?
Jack: It hurts me to think that many times Ruby asked me to come here with her to see her father and her brother and I never agreed. I preferred to travel in my Pearl.
Johari: Now is when, Jack.

Jack went to the door and tried to push and pull it, but neither movement opened the door. Johari, seeing Jack's attempt to open the door, took a key from the leather bag he carried and offered it to the pirate and captain.

Johari: (Takes the keys from her bag) Jack, don't you think it would be easier with this?
Jack: (Turns to see Johari) What is that?
Johari: The key that will possibly help us open that door.
Jack: But the Keys of Hell went with Ruby.
Johari: They may not be the original keys but every key has a spare. (Offers him the key)
Jack: (Receives the key and looks at it in detail) But the Keys of Hell are supposed to have a sapphire. This one has nothing.
Johari: I don't know how much it has to do with it. Remember that the other one was one of the Five Pieces of Sapphire.
Jack: (Giving her back the keys) The keys may work, but these doors are only supposed to be opened by Flame.
Johari: (Without receiving back the keys) Or by someone who has won her trust.
Jack: And why do you think that's me? You not only know this island more than I do, but you were also the one who helped her find her way to the Port of Hell. And not only that. She trusted you the first day she met you, inviting you to be part of her crew, and the last time she saw you, she gave you the captaincy of her valuable Lotus Flower.

Jack approached the African descendant and grabbed her hand to not only force the keys back, but also to display the Ring of the Lotus Flower.

Johari: She may have lent me the captaincy of her ship. But she gave you something much more valuable than that. She gave you her love. She trusted you her heart. It's like the story of Calypso and Davy Jones.
Jack: I have nothing in common with that maritime demon.
Johari: You both were loved by a goddess. And you know that Ruby would trust you the Heart of Fire if it was necessary.
Jack: The Heart of Fire. That's what we need.
Johari: (Gives him back the keys) Then what are you waiting to open that door?

Jack received the keys and slowly approached the door. When he got into it, he first placed his hand on a large symbol drawn on the door.

Jack stayed like that for a couple of seconds before finally daring to insert the keys into the door lock

Jack: Are you sure this is gonna work?
Johari: There is only one way to check... Turn the key.

When they opened the door, they saw a rock cave that formed perfect steps that led down, and next to it a small stream of crystal clear waters that became reddish as they went down.

Jack was at first surprised by what he saw, but then he began to go down as if he was already used to going down those stairs.

Jack: (Starts going down)
Johari: Jack, wait!
Jack: (Turns to see Johari) Aye?

Johari, without saying anything, took from her leather bag the box of blue pills that she had shown Jack earlier.

Jack: Those are the blue pills you showed me earlier and you wouldn't tell me what they were for.

Johari took out a pill and offered it to Jack. The pirate received it but did not trust enough to take it.

Johari: (Offering him the pill) Here. Take it.
Jack: (Recieves the pill) I won't take it if you don't tell me what they are for first.
Johari: Do you want to be seen down there?

Johari, before receiving an answer, took out another pill and swallowed it with the help of the water from the canteen that hung around her neck.

Jack: (While Johari takes her pill) I just want you to be a little bit more clear.
Johari: Without this pill, the souls that roam the area will not see you and for you they will be simple holograms.
Jack: How can I trust you?
Johari: I've been down there for at least a couple of times.
Jack: ...
Johari: And I recommend you drink it now because without water, it tastes pretty nasty, and the rum you carry in that canteen around your neck is going to evaporate in the high temperatures of hell.

Jack, though still a bit wary, finally popped the pill into his mouth and helped himself with a big sip of rum as he heard it would evaporate.

Johari: (In a less firm voice) You would really do anything for your Apple Pie.
Jack: Yeah. Anything. (•••) Do you think my Apple Pie miss me as much as I miss her?
Johari: You are the one who gave her back the will to live. She will never forget that.

Hearing that, Jack steeled himself and started going down with Johari at his side. The pirate was going down safely though not as fast as he had started before taking the pill.

=========================

Thank you for reading this new chapter.

_

Just to compare again: In this chapter in the original Spanish version we had 17k views. Now, in this chapter in this English version we have 9.53k views.

_

If you want to know something with more detail you can ask me here in the comments or you can sent me a message on Instagram. @noah.dreams21.

As always, don't forget to tell me if you see any mistake in the grammar or orthography for me to fix it.

I hope you liked it.
Don't forget to vote and comment
Read you soon, Noah
Keep a weather eye on the horizon.