Chapter XLVIII

《With Philip》
Philip, with the little strength he had left, approached the water of the springs to try to clean his wound on his abdomen. In less than a minute, Syrena rose to the surface, staying right in front of the missionary.

Syrena: You are hurt.
Philip: In body only. My mind is at peace... because of you.
Syrena: Me?
Philip: Yes. I was lost. The wind, the tides... they ought to renew a man's faith. But for me, only you.
Syrena: Philip, I can save you. You need only ask.
Philip: I seek but one thing.
Syrena: What is that?
Philip: Forgiveness. If not for me, you would never have been captured.
Syrena: (Whispering) Ask.
Philip: Forgive me?

Syrena kissed Philip and carried him to the bottom of the sea with her.

(•••)

(•••)

Jack had Angelica tied up and with Ruby's company they took her in a boat to the Island where Jack had twice been abandoned with a pistol with a single shot.

Jack: (To Ruby) I'm doing this for you, Apple Pie.
Angelica: (To Jack) I hate you.
Jack: The bloke who saved your life?
Angelica: The years I possess, stolen from my own father!
Jack: I only helped Blackbeard do what any father should have done.
Angelica: You are cruel and ignorant.
Jack: Do you really think that affects me coming from you? The only thing that matters to me right now, and that makes me feel at peace, is knowing that there is a place for me in Ruby's heart. I know I have her love.

《Arriving on the island》
Jack: One pistol, one shot. (Throws the pistol to the sand next to Angelica)
Angelica: To kill myself before I starve?
Jack: There's no trusting you, love.
Ruby: Besides, this is a well-traveled trade route. You can signal a passing ship. Or you can just bite the proverbial bullet, as it were.
Angelica: And how will I get free of these bonds?
Jack: You broke free of your bonds half an hour ago, waiting for the precise moment to pounce.

Angelica, freed, tried to attack Jack with a wooden stick, but Ruby, prepared, knowing the acts that her current partner's ex-lover would perform, was able to easily stop the attack by burning the stick.

Angelica: Admit it, Jack. You still love me.
Jack: If you had a sister and a dog, I'd choose the dog.
Ruby: (To Jack) What if I was the third option?