Chapter LXVI

Ruby always knew that she lived thanks to a curse of the ocean, so if the Trident of Poseidon was broken, and all the curses of the sea were broken, she would return to the Hell of the Caribbean, but still, she decided to help without telling anyone what her fate would be. After all, Ruby felt it was the only way to repay Will Turner, her childhood best friend, for all the times he stopped her from taking her life. By breaking the curses of the sea in order to free him from the Flying Dutchman.

Right now, Flame was chained to her home. And despite having been in that place for two years now, Ruby had done everything possible not to be recognized. She had not only covered the tattoo on her wrist with the red bandana that Jack had given her on one of the many visits to Tortuga, and she had cut her hair with the dagger that she always carried in her belt. But she also removed the Bracelet of Hell thus abandoning her power and making her hair lose color again.

Even though Francis Evans, and Hades, who knew most of the souls that roamed the area, still hadn't found out that Flame was down there with them, Ruby still had a companion. Companion whom Ruby still did not consider a friend since he did not know that her companion was the Goddess of Fire and Hell, and he did not know what her name was either.

Flashback
Ruby had just cut her hair with her dagger, covered up the tattoo, and removed the Bracelet of Hell, and now she was walking beside the lava river, in an area where very few souls passed, fiddling with her dagger.

Soon a man dressed almost entirely in leather, which also appeared to have been a pirate in life, approached. The man wore jeans full of leather patches, leather boots and shirt, bracelets and belts of the same material, and had long, curly blonde hair covered with a brown bandana.

Dylan: You're new, aren't you?
Ruby: Why do you think that?
Dylan: I've been here for years, I have a very good memory, and your face doesn't sound familiar to me at all.
Ruby: Then maybe you're right. I got here recently.
Dylan: Then... how did you get here?
Ruby: Because of your appearance, I imagine you know that a pirate life is not easy at all.
Dylan: If you are here, then you did not die in a battle in the ocean. Battle on land or doomed by royalty?
Ruby: I don't want to go into details.
Dylan: Ok. As you say. My name is Dylan, by the way. You are...?
Ruby: I don't want to go into details.
Dylan: Then how am I going to address you when I want to talk to you?
Ruby: I don't care.
Dylan: You look in a bad mood. Did you still have many plans to carry out?
Ruby: You wouldn't imagine how many.
Dylan: (Seeing some chains in Ruby's arms) Hey... don't those chains bother you? We could ask Hades to get them out from you.
Ruby: No. I'm fine.
Dylan: You sure?
Ruby: (Nodding) Aye.
Dylan: So... would you like me to show you around this place a bit?
Ruby: Could we not go where there are many people?
Dylan: I see you are a lonely girl.
Ruby: I don't know. I feel like I'm a completely different person than when I was... alive.
Dylan: You look like a shadow. Lonely and mysterious.
Ruby: (Smiling) You really think that?
Dylan: Also you wear almost completely black.
Ruby: I've always liked black.
Dylan: Hey! Since you don't want to tell me your name... can I call you Shadow?
Ruby: As you like.
Dylan: Are you sure you don't want to tell me your name?
Ruby: You're going to have to earn my trust first.
Dylan: I thought I already had it.
Ruby: (Denies smiling) Nope. Not yet.
Dylan: You'll see that I'll get it. Sooner or later you will tell me your name.
Ruby: (Smiling) Later than sooner.
Dylan: Hey... can I tell you something?
Ruby: (Stops smiling) I guess so...
Dylan: You've got a beautiful smile.
Ruby: (Smiles)
Dylan: So... do you want me to show you this place?... (Smiling) ...Shadow?
Ruby: Fine. Let's go.
End of Flashback