Chapter LVII

On the Dying Gull at nighttime
While all the pirates were sleeping, Carina was with her diary trying to decipher the map that would guide them to the Trident; Henry was looking to the sea with his spyglass; and Ruby was lying at the edge of the ship, looking at the stars and remembering her rough childhood.

At one point, Carina turned around and saw that Henry was looking for something with his spyglass.

Henry closed his spyglass making the sound wake up Jack.

Jack: (Waking up suddenly) Ah! Spaghetti wolf!
Henry: (To Jack) Why did I bother coming to you? The dead are hunting us down and you do nothing.
Jack: Nothing! You call this nothing?
Henry: You're drunk! And you're sleeping.
Jack: My point exactly! I am doing two things at once. You can't save the unsaveable, mate.
Henry: (Grabs a sword and starts threatening Jack)

Ruby heard a noise and when she turned her eyes she found the discussion between Jack and Henry, so she decided to stand up, without approaching at first, to be able to intervene in case of a bigger problem.

Henry: (To Jack) Like it or not, Jack, you're going to help me. I will break my father's curse.
Jack: (Draws his gun and points it at Henry) Next time you raise a sword, boy, be the last to die.
Henry: (Lowers the sword)
Ruby: (Aproaches to Jack) Jack, lower that weapon now.
Jack: But I...
Ruby: Jack, you're drunk. It's not the best moment.
Jack: (Puts away his gun)
Ruby: Please. I don't want more problems. The dead are following us. I think that's enough with that. (Goes walking to Carina's side)

Ruby sat back to look at the stars, and Carina noted the wistfulness with which Ruby remembered her sad past.

Carina: (Aproaches Ruby) It's everything ok?
Ruby: It's supposed to be.
Carina: Then why are you sad?
Ruby: It is rather the memory that produces me that beautiful piece of art that is painted in the sky every night.
Carina: Are you talking about the stars?
Ruby: (Nods)
Carina: Does that bring you a bad memory?
Ruby: Not exactly. It actually brings me one of the few good memories I have from my childhood.
Carina: (Looks confused)
Ruby: It is the first time I was able to generate fire. Me and my father went to a beach in the ring of fire, near a volcano and we stayed there until midnight.
Carina: (Sits next to Ruby)
Ruby: At one point during the night, I saw how a wave brought a rock with orange and blue details to the beach.
Carina: A volcanic rock...
Ruby: As soon as I touched it, fire was generated around it, and when I released it, that fire was still in my hands. At first, I was obviously scared, but little by little I understood what it was all about.
Carina: And what happened with your father?
Ruby: I did my best to hide the pyrokinesis. It was very hard to me to control that power. Until before I met Jack, being able to create fire with my body was a nightmare for me.
Carina: You burnt him, didn't you?
Ruby: I actually burnt the house. But he also burned from the inside.
Carina: You had a rough childhood...
Ruby: Living without a father was the least.
Carina: Make sense. Taking into account that I grew up without a father and without a mother.
Ruby: I would have preferred that to having a mother like the one I had.
Carina: I thought she was something good in your life. Since you said good things about your father...
Ruby: My mother never cared about my father. She just wanted his money.
Carina: What did your mother do?
Ruby: Have you seen my back?
Carina: Full of scars and wounds?
Ruby: (Nods)