In The Eyes Of A Broken Soul

As many windows as judge Bloomfurd had Sandford open that day, there were no need for the folks of Ponchas and the outsiders visiting in, to fan themselves cool.

The wind was brisk and even partially howling that day. But not the birds. They made not one peep. It was almost like they sat on edge, on the decks of those windows, listening in like they were heavens ears or some em, tuning into the latest. And with Tator in the hot seat... well they dare not even chirp or peck away in the curiosity of it all. To the Woods, was Tator, friend or foe? All wanted to know...

The wind, energetically blew through his dirty blonde hair, like a slow dance lost in time, as Tator strolled passed where Maple was seated. It was undeniable, in a magnetic connection, as the two momentarily locked eyes. Goosebumps plopped on Maple's skin as Tator's hazel eyes, delved like he was drowning in hers. Unable to look away, Maple was riveted as her heart dropped to her stomach in just that one glance. With words unsaid in that moment, she felt Tator could read her every thoughts.

One thought in particular came to her mind. She couldn't understand why he was being questioned by the defense, over her. Nonetheless, in bated breath, Maple braced herself as Tator was finally stood up front. All eyes were on him...

Despite her verbal and disapproving glare from his Nana, Tator, placed his hand on that Bible and swore to tell the truth. The whole truth so help him God!

You could hear a pin drop in the silence of that room. Yet the moment Tator sat down in the hot seat, the doors to the courtroom, suddenly somewhat became ajar. Slipping through them doors and tipping as quietly as possible, Tator who at the time was very in tune to the lawyer and his starts of questioning, became just as quickly distracted. Right in mid sentence he just stopped with his reply to Mr. Smarten.

His eyes were forward, his masculine jaw clenched, as his body became intense and his lips perched. He scowled as his eyes laid on a one Andrew Wellington returning to Ponchas. Tator was anything, but overjoyed to see, of all people returning, him... Much worse how Andrew had managed to scrunch over and sit down where he had been previously sitting... right behind Maple.

Maple, curiously studying Tator's abrupt intensity, could not help but wonder what suddenly caught his undivided attention and gave him such ire. She could not help but find out the mystery. She lowly gasped when she caught and finally understood Tator's glare as she turned around.

In that moment, Andrew fondly stared into her eyes, like he was waiting in anticipation of just one glimpse from her, his way. And the wait was finally over. Enough to manage a delighted smile from him, in just that one lively glance. But it was just that, a glance. Maple quickly turned back, daring not to turn back around.

But when she looked up, she saw Tator giving the same fond gaze that Andrew just gave her, all the while somehow managing to still glare in Andrew's direction...

In that instant, Maple felt the room spinning and like she couldn't breathe...

"Maple child. I kin feel you tremblin. Are you alright?" Grandmama Hastings softly whispered into her ear.

"No." Maple uttered grasping tightly onto her grandmama.

Grandmama braced Maple close to her bosom, while Cornelia placed her hand on Maple's thigh as a gesture of comfort as the defense continued with his questioning to Tator.

"Oh Lawd, don't let me pass out." She lowly mumbled to herself. "Not today. Not naw."

The only thing that kept her from kissing pavement, was when Mrs. Crowder got a glimpse of her grandson's scowl and she too, saw Andrew. Why right then and there, it was almost like she wickedly grinned seeing Andrew so near to Maple. I can tell you right now, that's all it took. That straightened up Maple quick, as a cricket to moonlight, as she released herself from her grandmama's embrace.