Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind

Before they knew it, the evening had escaped them. And knowing Maple was in no position for the long drive back. Especially with her heart broken and all, Grandama Hastings insisted on her children to stay til morning. Mama Woods desiring for no more drama, obliged and obeyed her mother's wishes. Especially since Maple had already cried herself to sleep.

Later that night, Beth Anne and Annelle arrived back to a curiously extra quiet house. They thought for sure their grandmama Hastings would be up just waiting for them to not only give the third degree to their over the curfew dates, but to inquire every single detail of their night. But instead to their surprise, they found their uncle Jeffy, knocked out on the living room couch. And their sister, Maple, curled up all alone in one of their beds.

Curious as to where their mother and father were, they finally heard their mother's voice. Even more to their shock, She was sniveling. Beth Anne and Annelle, thought for sure in that moment, they were goners! They couldn't understand why their sister and Uncle were there in the first place. Let alone their parents, seeing as they still had quite some time in their summer abode to be at their grandmama's! They felt so unsettled in that moment with wild wonder! So as quiet as possible without every crack and creak giving them away that is, they tipped to where their Mama Woods, was just sniveling away. To their surprise they saw her and in the arms of Grandmama as they lay holding each other... Too tired and nervous to find out what all the hoopla could possibly be about, they prayed it wasn't about them. Or their absent daddy woods for that matter. Unsettled and curious, they made a decision and decided to retire to their room. They debated on who would get the solo bed as one cuddled with Maple. And the other spread out on the other bed and snored the night away...
A New Day
The sun shined in on the still and oh so quiet house. Only the sounds of the birds singing in a new day could be heard.

Restless and unsettled about what the new day would bring, Beth Anne, eased out of the bed daring not to awake her baby sister, Maple as she cozied up next to Annelle. There for a while they lay contemplating the day... Making a decision to stay in the good graces of Grandmama Hastings and Mama Woods, Beth Anne and Annelle finally crept downstairs to make their family breakfast. But to their surprise Mama Woods and Grandmama were already in the kitchen. And they were waiting. But to even more their surprise, it was not for them. For the time being they were excused to go about their day. Mama Woods, kissed her babies and shooshed them away. She had too much on her mind to deal with her girls. At least for the time being.

So as the sun arose brighter with that very hour, Beth Anne and Annelle carried on, as Jeffy drank his umpteenth cup of coffee in utter silence, reading the morning paper. All the while, Mama Woods, along with Grandmama Hastings, patiently waited for Maple to come down stairs. However, every second seemed like an eternity for Mama Woods. Like removing a cactus spine one by one, from her already aching heart, knowing she would have to once again come face to face with her sullen daughter and have yet another talk.

Maple finally made an appearance. Her normally perfect raven locks were everywhere but loose. Her eyes were worn, red, with dried up tears on her soft peach cheeks. And her dress crinkled to the core. But she didn't care. With every step she sighed. Hesitant, she finally joined her anxious mother at the dining room table. Grandmama, jumped up to fix Maple a plate.

"I ain't hungry, Grandmama." Maple lowly mumbled.

"Nonsense." Grandmama Hastings said kissing Maple's forehead. "I made yo favorite. Jam, bacon and eggs. And even put some sweet butter French toast on the side. Naw you just eat up! Sides you got a long journey back. And I ain't gonna have folks in Ponchas Row say I don't feed my babies." She said placing the plate in front of Maple. "Naw eat up."