That Summer Feel

Oh summer... It can be such a treasure don't you think? You can't deny it has its benefits. I mean who doesn't enjoy the thought of longer days and shorter nights? Moreover, no school. Well... I think the kids enjoy that most. I mean most heard their parents say, go! Explore! Have fun! Just don't get into any trouble! Ya hear? And when that street light comes on well, you better get a hitch in your saddle and head on home.

For the adults it more about taking time off... Sleeping in past your regular alarm. Most of all heading out on fun filled vacations! It's an interesting time to say the least.

Yes summer... Summer has its benefits...

But then there can be the downside for some.. No school! Ain't no doubt, you can hear some parents crying just at the thought of it, as the teachers laugh and jump for joy in their three months of freedom! Some, on the other hand, are dealt with the short end of the stick. You still can still find them working from sun up to sun down while watching others have a good time outside the box.

Yep summer has its perks and it definitely has its downsides.

One downside in particular, that all could agree in that town of Ponchas...the heat of the scorching sun...

Why you can hear some gripe as they claim the sun works over time and that's why sometimes it can beat down something fierce. But on the bright side, they also say, that's all the more reason to take a cool dip in the cool waters.

On a sweltering afternoon, and the house feeling like a sauna with no air, the Woods, decided to take time off and take a trip and join some of the others drive up to Eden's shore and lay out by the white sands beach.

While Daddy and Mama Woods sang to the music blasting on the radio, Maple was unusually quiet, as she sat in the back seat of her daddy's baby blue Cadillac. You could see her mind anywhere but there. As Beth Anne and Annelle would have said, daydreaming...

Closing her eyes and feeling the cool of the breeze hitting her face, Maple leaned her head out that window...

Daddy Woods with his aviator sunglasses on, just kept humming to the music. He was having a good ole time driving. But Mama Woods, for the time being, stopped singing as she placed her focus on Maple.

"Maple hun-Nay?" Mama Woods said with her eyes looking through the rear view mirror while fidgeting with her updo.

"Yeah mumma?" Maple replied.

"I bet that beach is already full." Mama Woods said in conversation.

"Yep." Maple uttered. "So I hear."

"Yep indeed. Why yo Uncle and Cornelia have already been up there all this week. No doubt doin whut honeymooners do." She said batting her eyes at her husband.

"Mumma?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't wanna know that." Maple frowned, repulsed at the thought.

"Well I was onlay sayin." She said slightly tickled at Maple's expression. "I'll say no moe."

"Thank you..." Maple said with a wince.

"Anyways," she said turning around in her seat. "are yo friends gonna be there today?"

"They already are." Maple replied. "Leslie Anne's great aunt has a place near by... She and Josephine are gonna stay there night or two. Maybe more."

"Are you gonna join them?"

"I dunno Mumma." Maple said taking her head from the comfort of the breeze and sitting up. "Maybe..."

"Well I thank you should." Mama Woods replied. "It'll do you some good. Sides yo Granny and Grandpa Woods place ain't that far off. And they are usually home round this time."

"They always home." Daddy Woods grumbled.

"Oh hush." Mama Woods said giving a love tap to her husband. "You jest drive." She said lovingly squeezing his thigh. "Anyways as I was sayin, befoe yo daddy interrupted me, I wuz thankin after we spend some time at the beach we'll head out there for a spell. Maybe a day or two. Oh and Fred!" She said twisting around.

"Yeah darlin?"

"I heard yo Uncle Cleaver is gonna be there for a spell. Isn't that some em?"

"Whoopt-tea-doo." He sneered.

"Oh..." Mama Woods sighed. "As I was sayin, after that visit, I was thankin yo daddy and I could meet yo Grandmama and check out her new beau. I heard he was sneakin by to court her. Although Mumma says they are jest friends. Likely story." She grinned. "Nonetheless, we kin see her and him while she's in Everly with the girls. You seen him? Why he is just downright adorable. I love my daddy in heaven, but it's about time." She half smiled. "Plus I'm jest dyin to see my grand babies!" Mama Woods exclaimed.

Maple wasn't too keen on all that traveling. At least not on that particular day. While Mama Woods kept on, Maple's mind had drifted off...

"Maple hun-nay?" Mama Woods said twisting back around. "Are you listenin to yo mumma?"

"Mmm-hmm..."

"Well shugha whut do ya thank?"

"Bout which part?" Maple slouched.

"Me and yo daddy spendin time with the family and you hangin with the girls?"

"Sure..." Maple said messing with the back car seat lighter.

"Sides, rumor has it, Andrew is on his way to Eden Shore, himself. I thank you two would jest enjoy some time alone."

"Like Hel__"

"Fred!" Mama Woods said cutting him off. "Getcho head out of the gutter! I didn't mean that!" She scrapped! "Sides, Maple knew whut I meant. Umm... didn't you?" Mama Woods said with a side eye.

"Course Mumma." Maple murmured with a coy expression while messing with the car seat ash tray.

"See that Fred!" Mama Woods said smacking her husband as she nervously giggled.

Daddy Woods murmured something neither Mama Woods or Maple could comprehend. Speaking through his teeth and looking through that rear view mirror, he nearly drove them off the side of the road. Almost losing her mind, Mama Woods just about near ripped him a new one about his crazy driving. Maple was kinda amused from it. After Mama Woods calmed down and took a deep breath in, from rippin him a new one, Daddy Woods said..

"With Andrew goin out there, I thank we should postpone seein my folks."

"Oh no suh!" Mama Woods griped. "You ain't gettin out of this one!"

While Maple's parents scrapped about where they would be staying for the next couple of nights, Maple, closed her eyes and placed her head back out of the car window seat as she thought to herself..

MAPLE: "Andrew's comin..."