The Unexpected Arival

Maple sobbed the tears of a thousand raindrops on an oceans floor...

There was no doubt her heart was ripped in two. Because in truth, you must understand, there was a part of her that did want to marry Andrew. She had even imagined what life would be like with him. Undoubtedly, she knew there would be happiness. Even so, it would only be in spades. Because in the back of her mind, it didn't fair to the ache she already had with living without Tator.

The wonderful thing about Andrew, that Maple truly loved, was he came back. And he came back for her. That filled Maple's heart more than she realized. On the other hand, unfortunately, in the process, it came with the repercussions of the unconscious non closure feelings for the part Tator, still owned. Those emotions had been revived. And as much as she tried to erase him from her heart, a part of him, to her dismay was still there. He was a haunting reminder, like an open wound that had never healed.

With that in mind and with all things considered, Maple felt if she couldn't give her heart fully to Andrew right then and there, no matter how much she may have willed to marry him. It would not be fair to him or to her. She wanted more time to mend. But Andrew wasn't having it. And a part of her, could not blame him.

Returning just before the sun fully arose, Maple snuck into the summer house where no one stirred but one...

Josephine had been waiting up for her. Pretending to be happy and not have a care in the world, Josephine snuck up to greet Maple as she returned late from her rendezvous with Andrew...

To her surprise Maple's eyes were as swollen and red as they could be. No words were said. Josephine just opened her arms as Maple fell into them and wept in the sounds of silence. A compassionate Josephine held her in her arms and grieved with her on that bathroom floor.

Although Josephine pined for Andrew as her heart secretly ached for him, seeing her best friend in this broken state of mind, hurt her even more. For no love of a man could ever come between the love of their undying friendship. No matter the feelings.

When the house began to stir once again, Josephine quietly cleaned up her friend and herself. She did it so well when Leslie Anne came bouncing in that master bathroom grilling Maple for details of the night, Josephine cleverly distracted her. At least till Maple could fully compose herself.

That day, no one. Not a soul... knew of Maple's heartache. Except the one that held her hand under the table..

Course eventually they told Leslie Anne. But it wouldn't be till Maple was ready...

After a few more days the time had come for them to return to Ponchas. After that night Maple hadn't seen high hair of Andrew... It didn't help matters. But to the best of her abilities, she pressed on.

In fact the only one who had came back engaged from the time on Eden's Shore, was Leslie Anne and Mo Thumper.

In time, Maple told her family. To say they were disappointed was an understatement. In fact you would have thought they were the ones that broke things off with Andrew. Especially Mama Woods. But in time, slowly but surely they all came around.

It had been another few months, since anyone had set eyes on Andrew. Seeing as he left Ponchas as swift as lightning.

Well all but one...

Cloak and Dagger

With a nip in the air, on a gray and overcast day, just a few minutes after six, Maple shivered from walking home from her part time job at the town's boutique with Josephine. It was a temporary job until she left home and out of town with Leslie Anne and Mo Thumper.

Like a cloak and dagger in hushed hushed tones, someone had been watching her. Following her every move. But only on that day. To no ones surprise it was Andrew. He had secretly came back to Ponchas. He was hidden in the trees.

In silence he even watched her fix and fidget with her wobbly shoe. He watched how her breath danced in the air, and how her curls dangled in her rosy face. He watched how she held herself from the chill. He watched her as the light began to fade and the moonlight did invade. He watched... Until she walked up her creaky front door steps and returned home.

He peeked through the window and watched how she was greeted by her welcoming dad. And how she had told him about her day. For a moment, it looked like he was going to go knock on her door. But at the last second, he just backed away and left. Without so much as a soul seeing him.

Later that evening, as he returned to his out of sight vehicle, he took a drive to an unexpected place.

On a starlit night, as the wind howled, Andrew climbed a closed ornamental iron fenced gate. Quiet as a mouse he, traipsed through the crisp leaves, as he crept up the long drive. Grabbing the bronze door handle, He knocked on the door till he could hear a stirring...

Finally after a moment, the lights in the house, one by one came on.

The door finally opened...

"Cleava! You leave yo house keys again?"

It was Mrs. Crowder. And she couldn't believe her eyes...

"Andrew? Andrew Wellington?" She said with her mouth hanging wide open so wide an elephant could fit through it. "Boy... whut on God's green earth are you doin here? And on my property?" She said shocked!

And then it dawned upon her...

"If you here foe Tator, he ain't here. Fact is I ain't seen high hair of him foe some time naw!" Suddenly she backed away. "Wait a doggone cotton minute! Did you bring that nightmare with ya?" She scowled! "She ain't allowed on this here property! Ya hear!? Maple show yoself!" She hollered up a storm! "Naw you jest git! Both of ya! Git off my property, foe I call the sheriff!!"

Andrew said not a word.. he just shoved past her and into her home.

"Woof! You get out of my house! You get out rat now!" She shrieked in a high pitched rant!

But Andrew just kept walking. He walked right up to her bar and slammed something down.

Mrs. Crowder in her little short legs and wild lookin salt and pepper hair scurried up to that bar!

"Whutchu put up there?" She furiously squalled!

But a silent Andrew brushed past her.

Now you know how Mrs. Crowder can fuss up a storm like no one's business. And that's exactly what she did, till she made it up to that bar.

And there it was.... The brooch.