The Interchanging Phenomenon Part 1

It's that moment of the in between when you are neither awake or sleep. Your body feels heavy. Almost as if something in the unknown is weighing you down like an anchor in water. You find yourself in a tug of war between the light and the dark. Then there are the sounds of voices buzzing around like bees to a hive as they dance around incessantly ringing in your ears. Moreover your own screaming thoughts that tell you, get up! Open your eyes! Awaken! So in time, you do, as you find your way back to the reality that awaits you..

Blurred images enveloped around a semi unconscious Maple...

"She's comin round!" A familiar voice called out to the others in the enclosed surroundings.

"Maple sugarplum?"

Like a newborn baby on a foggy day, Maple stretched her eyes open, to find her parents, Grandma Hastings, Josephine, and Leslie Anne hovering over her. As if she were a specimen for science.

"Let the gal breathe." Maple suddenly heard next to her.

"Uncle Jeffy?" Maple said slowly trying to sit up.

"Whoa there, Madge." Uncle Jeffy utters as he halts her from getting up too quick. "I swear you sho do like to be the life of the party! He sarcastically smirked.

"Oh leave her be." Mama Woods says coming to her daughter's aide. "Here." She said yanking the glass from her brother. "Drink this." She said slightly lifting her up and placing a glass to Maple's lips.

Maple began to sip, just as she did to some degree she began to choke. But Uncle Jeffy quickly patted her on the back, as he tried to take the glass back. But Mama Woods had a grip like the jaws of life...

"I jest knew, I shoulda made her eat some em, the moment we stepped in those doors. She ain't had nothin to eat all day. Heck all night." Grandma Hastings fussed.

"Baby__"

"Daddy, I'm fine." Maple deeply exhaled.

"How are you fine shuga?" Mama Woods concernedly asked. "You are all flushed! You are lighta than a pale shade of green! And was jest draped out on the dance floor like sleepin beauty on bourbon sur-prize!"

"Well that's uh vivid description..." Uncle Jeffy Chuckled.

"Oh." MamaWoods conveyed, as she once again placed the half empty glass back to Maple's lips.

"All of you... I'm fine..." Maple expressed as she pushed the glass away. "I jest..."

"You jest fainted is all..." Josephine uttered in distress. "And I fear it is all my fault."

"Yup... Sounds bout rat." Leslie Anne grumbled in the corner.

"And whut is that pose ta mean?" Josephine grumbled.

"Ya deaf? You jest said it yo darn tootin self! It's yo fault! I mean far be it from me, cause I tried to warn you. But would you listen? Noooo..." Leslie Anne complained.

"I didn't know she was gone react like that!

"Tell me you are jokin?"

"Bout whut?"

"Lawd!" Leslie Anne groaned.

"Oh get off of it! The world does not revolve round you, Leslie Anne!" Josephine hissed.

"Well it ain't spinnin on its axis foe you Jo!" Leslie harped. "I mean whut on God's green earth were ya even thankin sprangin that on Maple? Especially when you know she is vulnerable these days!

"Oh hush up Leslie!" Josephine griped. "I admit I wasn't thankin! Are ya satisfied?"

"No you weren't! And if you wer__"

"Whut are you two gripin bout?" Mama Woods questioned.

"Oh nothin Mrs. Woods. Sept for our Josephine here, to be so smart, why she is dumba than a coons nest restin on uh open road."

"Oh hush Leslie Anne! Clear the air of yo toxicity and eat a peppermint! Or two to infinity!"

"Go lay uh egg Jo!"

"Why don you suck on one Lez! It will sho help what seems to be constantly buzzin in yo yap!"

"Girls! Enough!" Mama Woods interrupted.

Grandma Hastings, Uncle Jeffy, and even Daddy Woods snickered in amusement. But Mama Woods was anything but.

"Whut is this all about?" Mama Woods fussed! "Naw you are long time chums. And while you two are havin a rage, yo friend, my precious daughter, was caught with her bloomers wide in the air like sweet whistlin Winn Dixie for all to see__"

"Mumma!" Maple jolted up mortified!

"Well..." Mama Woods hissed pressing her lips.

"Yo mumma is rat, Maple. Again it's all my fault!" Josephine woefully expressed. "And Lez, don'tchu say anotha word!" She frowned. "Look everybody... Kin I jest have a moment with Maple? Alone? Please?" Josephine said looking at the curious eyes that surrounded her and Maple.

"Jos__"

"It's alright mumma..." Maple replied.

"Fine."

"Don'tchu worry bout me none."

"I can't promise that..." Mama Woods said.

"No, but you kin try." Maple smiled. "Sides, I am feelin much betta. Whut ever you had in that drank has me feeling more alive and even tingling to my swinging toes than by the minute."

Just then Mama Woods raised her brow in peculiarity as she realized she gave Maple, her brother's drink. Feeling a smidge vexed, she stared down her brother down in contrite...

"Jeffy__"

"Oat! Is that Cornelia callin my name?" Jeffy interjected as he stole the glass from the room. "Gotta go!" He said as she winked at Maple in passing...

"You come back here!" A griping Mama Woods quickly chased after...

With that, the room quickly cleared. All, but Josephine and Leslie Anne were left by Maple's side...

"Leslie? Gurl, you got cotton in yo ears? I said uh-Lone..." Josephine hissed.

"It's alright Jojo." Maple spoke. "Sides, I need to know why my two friends are scrappin like two wet hens..."

"Cause of him..." Leslie Anne griped.

She pointed to the corner. And out of the shadows, the wolf reappeared. Maple deeply gulped as she started feeling like she did moments before kissing pavement. But before she could...

"Hello Maple..."