A Frosty Night

With frost, glistening on the window's brow and the flame lights perfectly wrapped around the trees leading the way, as the wind howled with every exhale it breathed, time seemed still...

On an open dirt road in the middle of what seemed like nowhere, Grandma Hastings and Maple sat in the perfectly polished automobile, all the while, listening to the sounds of music ringing just off in the distance in the crispy night air...

"Brrr!" Maple shivered from the nip of the cool night air."

"Here... take my shawl." Grandmama Hastings said wrapping Maple snug in it. "It is beyond me, why you failed to bring one."

"Wasn't thankin, I guess. And I am jest sure mumma would jest have a fit knowin."

"Like a cat ta water." Grandma Hastings snickered at the thought.

But Maple sat appearing unamused as her mind seemed elsewhere...

"Maple? Are you alright darlin?"

"Oh why I am jest fantastic, Grandmama." Maple uttered, dripping with sarcasm as she replied taking a deep breath in.

"Em... Ya know." Grandma Hastings inquisitively expressed with a raised brow, all the while playing with her colorful pearls. "Yo granddaddy, Matthew, would always wiggle his nose when he told a lie."

"Oh? Did he naw?"

"Mmm-hmm." Grandma Hastings nodded. "He wiggled it, like a cat to a fresh and unwound yarn ball. Round and round. Jest about the way you are naw."

"Is that so?"

"It is so." Grandma Hastings replied with perched lips.

"Pifft!" Maple expressed. "Can I not have an itch Grandmama? A tickle on the side of my nose?"

"I neva said ya couldn't. I am onlay sayin."

"That I am lyin?"

"Naw did I say that?"

"No ma'am. But you implied it?"

"Hmm." Grandma Hastings murmured averting her eyes while tapping profusely on the car window. "Jest like a cat to uh yarn ball..." She muttered looking at the starry night sky.

"Mmm-hmm." Maple moaned skeptic of her grandma's words.

"Ya know... if you are not up to goin in, we kin always take a late night drive to Tonka and jest take a swim in the crystal, blue waters."

"Landsakes alive Grandmama!" Maple replied aghast! "Have you lost yo everlastin mind? Worse yet, have you stolen one of Mrs. Mavis crazy pills again?" Maple replied stunned. "You of all people, know very well that, the ice is cold as the arctic around this time! In fact, it's so icy, we would be as stiff as statues on a block of ice, with jest one dip of our toes!"

"Well, I dunno whuts worse darlin! You jest sittin in this here automobile unmoved for the past half hour with that sour expression of anxiety on yo face? Or that dip!"

"I said I was fine!"

"Mmm-hmm." Grandma Hastings uttered rolling her eyes. "The dip it is."

"Grandmama__"

"Maple, don't lie to me, hon-Nay. Moreover, do us both a fava and stop lyin to yo self!" Grandma Hastings fussed. "Sides admit it!"

"Admit whut?"

"Darlin, You was fine, perhaps uh hour ago. Over the edge, uh half hour ago. But naw..."

"Well I am sorry for my procrastination. I jest need a cotton pickin moment!"