In The Meantime

On a beautiful summer's eve with the sky in shades of lavender and pink, and the wind blowing in a soft and lovely breeze, Maple stood on the balcony of Goldie's summer home on Eden's Shore. From a not far off distance, she could see the vacant beach and hear the mellow sounds of the waves drifting in and out. Soon Goldie, Leslie Anne's aunt, came out to join her.

"It's been three years since I was last here." She said taking in scents of the amber florals. "And two years since I've been home." Maple said addressing a serene Goldie.

"You know you and the gals are welcome here anytime." Goldie replied handing Maple a strawberry lemonade. "Sides it's just me and the amber florals, night and day." She wistfully smiled.

"Hmm." Maple uttered as she soaked in her tranquil atmosphere. "Thank ya, for letting me stay here."

"Oh no worries, shuga." Goldie replied. "Leslie Anne said you needed a place to stay befoe you returned home. Sides I could use the company myself. Especially since Leslie Anne is a naw a married old woman." She jested. "Not ta mention a brand new mumma. Yeppers... but nowadays it's quiet round here anymoe.

"It's tranquil." Maple said consolingly grabbing her hand.

"Em. So it is." Goldie uttered with a slight shrug. "Anywho, does yo mumma know you headed home?"

"I sent word..." Maple said looking off into the distance.

"Well, I know she must be just achin ta see ya."

"Leapin foe joy!" Maple giggled.

"It shall also be interestin foe me ta take the drive withya." Goldie deep exhaled. "Especially gettin ta see the weddin of one of my gals!"

"Hmm.." Maple murmured.

"Yes ma'am indeed!" She smiled wide as the night sky. "Why our little Josephine. Or should I say grown Josephine, is gonna enter and join the leagues of married women!" She smiled tickled pink as her hair. "Funnay thang though, last time you were here, I could have sworn it would have been you. Marrying that Andrew boy that is."

"Life is funnay." Maple lowly replied.

Yes, Maple was headed home for a wedding. The wedding of her best friend Josephine, to her ex beau Andrew Wellington the third.

Now you have understand, it had been over three years since that night on the beach. Andrew had returned to Everly. And Maple? Why she had ran away and departed to the other side of the world. Maybe not the other side. But she was far enough. And no doubt her family hated the distance, but Maple felt she needed to escape Ponchas. She felt she was an empty vessel, like a well with no water.

For around that time now, she felt something in her life was drastically been missing. She felt Her beloved home was starting to become a strangers town in her own eyes. Course she had the love of her family there. But something was different. Something was off. Perhaps it was her quarrel with Andrew. And she wasn't truly over it.

Perhaps it was the missing brooch. No matter how hard and long she searched for that brooch, to her devastation, it was nowhere to be found. She did wonder on occasion, if Mrs. Crowder somehow found it and cleverly confiscated it from her. But how? When supposedly, Mrs. Crowder didn't even know it was missing? And each other would evade, the other's presence. They dare not breathe the same air. No it wasn't possible she thought, for Mrs. Crowder to even have a clue. Sides, when she did see Mrs. Crowder, it only reminded her of someone she knew once upon a time...

Perhaps it was much more. She couldn't put her finger on the emptiness that was sucking her dry. She just knew she wanted... needed to get away as far as she possibly could. She wanted to mend... She was after all getting older and wanted to try new things. Perhaps one, was leaving home.

So she left with a newly married Leslie Anne and Mo Thumper to work for his company. She only meant to stay for a few months. But before she knew it, a few months turned into a year. And a year into two. And so on.

Course Maple would come back home on special occasions. To the nuptials of her grandma Hastings to the handsome Mr. Hoffman's cousin. A double wedding of course for Grandma and Miss Millie Wexler. She came home for the birth of her nieces and nephews. And of course the special birth of her new and first born baby cousin, Ava Maxine Hastings. And now she was coming home for her beloved friend, Josephine.

You would think there would be some distance or some hidden malice for Josephine marrying Andrew. But it was on the contrary. A part of Maple always knew of Josephine's feelings for Andrew. And when she left, he was free to marry as he pleased.

In fact it wasn't till two years later when Josephine and Andrew even had a first date. They were friends. They were always friends. But as that saying goes, one day it just happened. But Josephine would not marry Andrew without her best friend's consent.

So in a long letter, Josephine requested to see Maple as she informed her, of a not so secret rendezvous with Andrew.

I would be lying if I didn't say, a part of Maple was slightly devastated. It was understandable. She would always care for him. The other part found happiness for her beloved friend and Andrew. She thought, if not her, no one could be more suited for him than Josephine.

Meeting up with Josephine in Kissington's Grove, many towns away from Ponchas, she embraced her friend and promised she would be there, for their wedding And so she did.

Maple went home. She kissed and loved on her family. She held her friend's hand at the wedding. And she even danced with the groom. But before the reception was even over, Maple had once again left Ponchas.

And it would be another two years before she would ever return home...