May I Have This Dance?

While the sun began to set in the pink,orange sky, Josephine and Maple walked back hand and hand returning to the reception.

Why it was such a beautiful evening as the lively upbeat and brisk music played as some danced and dined into the night. Moreover, the bistro lighting perfectly dangled and lit up that entire backyard..

Oh and the enticing smells of  just about everything you could think of to make your mouth water, from cakes and pies and the best meats, fruits and veggies galore, were perfectly displayed so not one soul went hungry. Shoot even the dogs and cats had their own feasts! Course it was in Miss Millie's betrothed, Mr. Hoffman's, fenced up backyard on the other side.

No pets allowed. Need I say why?

Nonetheless, before Maple and Josephine could even sit down and enjoy the food, Andrew Wellington strode up and stood before both women.

"Josephine..." he nodded in gentlemanly manner.

Josephine nearly tripped in her pumps at the sight of Andrew. Course Andrew caught her, just in a nick of time...

To say head over heels, was an understatement as Josephine stared in Andrew's eyes, like a lovesick puppy. Why Josephine's face was as red as a fireman's hydrant!

"You alright?" He said making sure her lemon dress didn't get ruined.

"Quite." She said as her voice suddenly cracked.

As Josephine regained her balance and composure, and the band began to slow down for couples, Andrew let go of her hand and put all his focus back on a tense Maple...

"May I have this dance?" He said reaching his hand out towards Maple.

Maple stared into Josephine's perfectly hidden melancholy eyes.

"Oh wouldja jest look at that?" She suddenly said looking away and pointing out yonder. "I do believe I see Leslie Anne and Mo Thumper are about to be in make out city.

"Mo is a gent." Andrew replied coming to his friend's defense.

"Oh I'm sure he is, in every sense, a gentleman. But I can't really say the same about Leslie." She coyly grinned.

Feeling flustered from staring into Andrew's eyes just one second too long, Josephine in haste, bashfully turned away, as she put her eyes back on Maple.. In an unexpectedly awareness, Maple noticed Josephine's outright blush. With a puzzled look, she kinda felt mystified as to what she just observed. But Josephine quickly played it off and just winked and squeezed her best friend's hand.

"Welp," she said breaking the tension, "I best get out there and be their chaperone." She said kissing a mystified Maple on the cheek as she hesitantly walked away, leaving a ruffled Maple and excited Andrew alone.

But not before she slowly turned back and watched Maple take Andrew's hand as he led her out on that moonlit dance floor for all to see. With that Josephine put her head down and disappeared into the night...

To his dismay, Andrew didn't have Maple for long. Stepping onto that dance floor where Andrew had Maple in his arms, Uncle Jeffy walked up...

"May I?" He said to Andrew.

"Course." A lovestruck Andrew nodded. But not before kissing Maple's hand.

Uncle Jeffy, in his brilliantly coiffed groom's attire, towered over most, as he stood in his just a little over six foot stance. With a charming smile, he reached for his niece's hand.

"Shall we?" He said with a grin on his perfectly olive complexioned face.

Now if you paid close attention, anyone and everyone that knew Maple, could see the scowl as big as a elephant, planted right upon her face as she gawked at her uncle in contempt. Nonetheless, Maple reluctantly took his hand. But not without squeezing it like an overflowing sponge.