The Numbing Effect

Quiet. Not to make a peep, to even wake a cricket's sleep, Maple Joelle Woods, on the tips of her toes, and wiggling her nose, snuck into the house. Disturbing, not even a mouse...

The house was dark with only the light of the moon peeking in and through, the windows of Mama Woods, perfectly placed curtains. Trying to make not one sound, to awaken a soul, she as quietly as possible, crept around.

In a slow paced motion, she closed and locked the front door.

Removing her sloshy pink pumps, one by one, she delicately placed them down by the door's welcome mat. She looked around, careful not to make a sound, as she crept into the dark living room and onto the the perfectly polished hardwood floors. She successfully made it past that obstacle. But her real challenge, was to pass by her parents room. And she knew that would not be an easy feat, without one or both waking from the sound of her feet. To her dismay, their door was left crept open.

Glancing into that dim room, she saw them curled in a cuddling position as if they were one. She prayed they would not come undone.

Maple, began to maneuver through the hall, as if she were a ballerina in the Nutcracker's song, "The Sugar Plums Fairy." Although her heart was indeed contrary to that song, she still bounced along. Almost as if she were in rhythm to that very beat. Tipping very carefully and very discreet!

Edging against the painted wall she snuck, further into the hall. She almost didn't make it as she heard her Mama stir and begin to mutter in her sleep. But Daddy Woods soon just lovingly rocked her till she made not one peep. In baited breath, Maple had finally made it all the way past her parents room as they both contently snored the rest of the morning thru.

Holding her breath, Maple found her way to the old stairs, with out making a crick or a creak! And up tip by tip, she did sneak, until she made it past the sewing room and up the upstairs to silent bathroom.

Removing her wet undergarments and flowered dress, as she leaked onto that tile bathroom floor, Maple placed them into the dirty bin as she delicately and carefully removed the brooch from her sweater. With that, she placed her precious brooch, temporarily into the shower cabinet.

As time slowly progressed, Maple, drew and sat in a warm bath, with little bubbles swimming through, while the steam covered the windows and the mirror. Dazed, she found herself in a paralyzed state while staring around into the candle lit room.

Now remember when I said she was numb... Well I can tell you, that numbing effect, soon wore off. Maple could feel everything, her heart desired not to.

Covering her mouth to contain the screams, Maple wept and wept, until her tears overflowed mixing into the bath. She felt gutted! Like the weight of her world was crashing in and all around her. She cried and cried, until she could cry no more. As her tears dried upon her crimsoned cheeks, she remained in that bath, until it wrinkled her skin and the cold crept in...

Finally forcing herself to remove herself from the waters and that dreary like room, she dressed in her comfy nightgown. She carefully removed the brooch from the cabinet, as she tipped from the bathroom and into her room.

Maple cautiously placed the brooch in a jewelry box that Grandma Hastings, had given to her. Slapping on her nightcap and sleep mask from the sun, Maple closed her eyes and began to dream.

A mentally, as well as physically, worn Maple Joelle, began to dream the day away. So much so, that when Mama Woods, brought the freshly cleaned laundry upstairs that afternoon and into Maple's unstirred room, she nearly scared the bajeejees out of her. She startled the living daylights out of her so bad, the fresh from the line and perfectly creased and folded clothes, flew out of the clothes basket as it went any and everywhere.