The Whereabouts Pt3

With the sweltering sun streaming down on that small backyard cabin, like a cookie, baking to its crisp, uncle Jeffy fixed the windows to let the cool breeze linger in, as Maple fixed her perspiring Uncle, a tall glass of ice cold lemonade as they continued on...

"Maple, I can't judge you. And I won't. But I have ta say, Tator doesn't know that side of the story. And I sure as heck didn't know. Not till yo mumma told me a few months back bout the true meaning behind the kiss." He said. "My guess is, he thought whut I thought for a long time..."

"That thangs weren't over between me and Andrew?"

"Well were they?"

"They are now!" Maple confessed! "And it was for a long time! I jest... I dunno." She said covering her face in humiliation.

Uncle Jeffy asked.. "Between them both... why Tator?"

"Cause the Lawd's humor." Maple replied with perched lips. "To be honest, Tator always saw me in a different light that I neva saw myself. And he let me be me. In spite of my stubborn ways. He always was there. And he listened. Even when I thought he wasn't. Not to mention always he would call me out in a heartbeat if he thought I was sittin sideways and seein the world upside down. In other words, in spite of my sometimes spoiled ways, he kept me levelheaded and on solid ground. And others times, he made me fly... He brought out the better in me. And sometimes the worst. But mainly the better. A side I hid inside from many... even you uncle Jeffy, he brought out in the open. And I could no longer remain hidden. He saw me. And He brought out a side in me, I never thought was possible.

"And whut side was that?"

"Daring. Not afraid to laugh... at myself. And to see the world in a different light!" She said with a nostalgic smile. "For some reason, He jest made me feel..."

"So you still truly love him?"

"Honestly Uncle Jeffy, as I told mumma, I don't thank I ever stopped." Maple said staring at her observing uncle. "Even when I desperately tried. Probably why that side of him, irks me the most?"

"Why?"

"Cause he gave me butterflies, with the wings of eagles..."

"And that scared you?"

"To the core." Maple admitted. "We were always complicated. There was no doubt about that. And to the average eye, we probably made jest as much sense as a cat lovin a dog on uh silver moon. But to each other? For us to be so mixed match as the patches on Mrs. Mavis quilt... I dunno, we jest... well we jest__"

"You fit."

"Yes..."

"And though opposite, you somehow complimented each other. And together, thangs jest seemed more colorful."

"Exactly!" Maple said shocked her Uncle understood.

And he totally did...More than Maple could fathom...

"And I thought there was nuthin worse in this world than ever losin my precious brooch... Till I lost him." Maple said painfully smiling through her tears. "He jest complicated thangs. And when I wasn't around him, I sometimes felt, I never fit in."

"Well Maple darlin, you were never meant to fit in." Uncle Jeffy said sweetly smiling. "You were always born to stand out! You were always this sweet innocent quiet baby and young girl, that always catered to others. Till your fifteenth year." He peculiarly smiled. "I always thought it was Mrs. Crowder that made you show yo clandestine spunk!" Uncle Jeffy chuckled. "I'm sure she had a hand. Ain't no doubt about that. But I see now, it was Tator who showed the world what you really are."