How Could You pt 2

"I just left. Before anyone else knew I was ever there. I lingered outside that barnyard in the cold dead of night for a little while longer. I shivered in the cold, but my heart and soul were warmed from you. It was the first time I had seen you in two years. You had that lady of the lake costume on. And you were a vision. I replayed your eyes on me, over and over. I couldn't get you out of my head. I contemplated if I should work my nerve up and go right back in. And right back to you.

A repenting Andrew sauntered in that lounge a little closer to Maple while pouring his heart out. Praying Maple would continue to hear him out. For the time being... she obliged.

"I stood outside behind those double doors and I watched my friends and family enjoy themselves in the night. I watched Mo, bewitch Leslie Anne for the first time. I gazed upon your family dancing, drinking and being merry as the festivities went on. But I didn't see you. Once again, I lost my nerve. And just as I was bout ta leave... you came." He nostalgically smiled. "You were with Josephine. And you both came jovially bouncing out. You were a heartbeat away. You laid on that haystack in the wagon as I stood behind the open door. You hadn't closed it fully. And I was glad for that. If you had, you would have seen me right then and there. And if you walked back to the door to close it, I would have revealed myself to you. But you never came. So I stood there waiting as the two of you began to talk the night away. I couldn't hear whut you were sayin. But I wonted so desperately to lay right beside you. And hold you in my arms, as I used to. But I couldn't. So when you both turned your eyes away, I sneakily shut the door. You both thought it was the wind. But it was me. And like a ghost, I slid past you. I went deep into the woods. I went to drown my sorrows." Andrew said. "I thought I was alone."

Andrew's eyes left Maple's and they briefly glared upon Mrs. Crowder's. But Andrew kept on.

"Right at the moment, when the chill hit and the burn of frost traipsed upon my frozen skin, I was gone leave. But out of the blue... there you were again." Andrew said. "You stood a breath away from me. And I dared not move. I didn't wont to startle you."

"But you did!"

"It wasn't me!" He defended!

Once again Andrew's eyes turned to Mrs. Crowder. This time Maple's followed. A guilty Mrs. Crowder just looked anywhere, but at Maple or Andrew for that matter.

"I didn't know anyone was out there! Heck! I didn't even thank you would go there yourself! Not that far. But I heard the rustling too."

"So you're tellin me it wuz Mrs. Crowder that was there? And she was the one who was startled me?"

"Yes..." He claimed. "She was on the other side of the lake. Not far from you. And when I saw her. I took my focus off you. And I kept it on her. I didn't know whut she was doin. Or how she even got there. It didn't matter. I kept my eye on her. Cause I wasn't bout ta let her harm you in any way."

"Did she see you?"

"Not at first." Andrew said. "I jest stood there hidden behind a tree, from her lurking eyes. But then my eyes fleetingly fell back on you." He smiled. "You were silly, entertaining and you were dancing and singing away as the woman of my dreams. Most of all you were smiling. And that smile melted me. As it always did."

"How long were you watchin me?"

"Long enough. But not long enough, if that makes any sense at all. Because I no longer felt the cold. I onlay felt you. It didn't matter how icy the air was. I was warm enough because of you. I briefly even lost focus of Mrs. Crowder. But that didn't last long. Andrew confessed. "She startled you! She startled the living daylights out you! Next thang I knew you were off to God knows where. Draggin that wooden sword and all. And I went after you. But you didn't get very far. You were knocked out cold from a hanging branch." He slightly laughed. "But on the bright side, you managed to leave Mrs. Crowder in yo dust. But I was there. I saw you were hurt. So I picked you up. And I carried you back."