The Breaking Point

Sneaking back into his Nana's house for the night, Tator' was stunned to be greeted by her waiting in the dark.

"Geez Louise Nana!" Tator bellowed in shock.

"It's late." She said sitting in the corner chair unmoved.

"I kin see that." He replied clicking the light on. "Whatchu doin up?" He curiously asked.

"Waitin for you." She said.

"Hmm." Tator laughed amused. "Well you ain't done that in ages." He said kissing her on the cheek.

Mrs. Crowder gave her grandson the most stern expression.

"Well I can see someone is testy." He jested.

Her scowl was unmoved.

"I'm beat Nana. I'm gone do you and me a favor... I'm headin to bed." He said walking away from her and started to head upstairs.

"Why'd you come back here?" Mrs. Crowder abruptly said before he could even get to the first step.

"I told ya... To go to get some sleep." Tator replied.

"No. I mean ta Ponchas. Why'd ya come back ta Ponchas? Wasn't come ta see me... wuz it?"

"Nana whut you on about?"

"Ya been here... over three months straight. That ain't like you. Not one bit. No one can eva git you to stay for long in one place. So whut changed?"

"Well maybe I jest like seein my Nana." He smiled. "Naw Nana, it's past three, I thank I need to get a little shut eye. Sides you need yo beauty sleep too, for the sake of Cleaver, at least." He teased.

He started to go up stairs... but Mrs. Crowder soon followed. To his dismay, She began to nitpick.

"Oh Nana... can't we talk in the morn? I promise to be bright eyed and bushy tailed and spend all day wit chu if ya let me sleep..."

"Mr. Drakerson was at the market the other day..."

"Oh..." Tator groaned...

"I overheard him, talkin to Mr. Wellington..."

"Hmm." Tator mumbled.

"Know whut I heard?"

"I can't imagine..." He deeply exhaled.

"He said that his son was so in love with Maple Woods that he proposed to her! I started to jump for joy. Don'tchu thank that's great news Tator?" She proclaimed.

"Mmm hmm.." Tator uttered without so much as a flinch. But he was starting to feel a little agitated.

"Well I thought it was just the bee's knee's! Till I heard she rejected that Wellington boy cold."

"Hmph... Nana it's late..."

"Want to know whut else I heard?"

"Oooh... Not really..." Tator exasperatedly sighed.

But Mrs. Crowder kept on asserting her two cents in...

"Mr. Drakerson happened to notice I was in the room. And he came of to me and why he said, he was thankin bout hirin you at the mill. I couldn't believe my ears."

"I was gonna talk to you bout that. It's somethin we can talk about in the morn. Please Nana...

"It's some em can talk about naw. Sides I ain't the least bit tired. Naw why would you eva need job? And of all places why here? Especially when I all do is take care of you.."

"Oh You know me, Nana... I work all the time. Explorin the world. Wantin ta make my own livin."

"But you ain't neva worked here. And you ain't neva wanted ta live here before."