The Taking

For the first time in nearly fourteen years, yo granddaddy and I found ourselves, not only back in Orange Haven, but back at the Lexington estate. It is after all where Magnus wanted to have her joyous union with Rusty.

It was far from easy being back there. Seeing as that's where all the hammy hoopla last wuz. I had felt like I was returning to a scene of a crime. After all it was the last place Matthew and I ever saw that brooch. And those memories solemnly came rushing back to Matthew. Regrettably so, even I...

Magnus was always somebody who had to have things her way and get whut she wanted. And she wanted her nuptials there... And I thank she knew we were a tad uneasy being back in that estate. Nonetheless, it was her day. And she was gonna have her day... Lawd help the soul that tried to stain it.

"So explain some em to me Grandmama... you, even Mrs. Crowder, said that her wedding day, was the day Mumma stole the brooch. Is that part also still true?"

"Unfortunately..." Grandmama Hastings answered back.

"So how did she do it?" Maple asked.

"Well..There was no doubt to all, that estate was massive. It was one of largest mansions around. And it was like being lost in a maze. But I knew it inside and out, being as it was once my former home. Not to mention, sometimes Magnus and my, very own playground. But I wasn't in the mood to explore or even reminisce for that matter. I honestly just couldn't wait to get back home and spend Christmas Eve with just my family."

"Hold the phone!" Maple suddenly interrupted. "I thought her anniversary was in the summer."

"Hmm emm. That anniversary she likes to recall every summer, unfortunately is the last day she ever spent with Rusty before his passing."

"Oh." Maple sighed. "Hate to say it. But it explains why she's downright miserable around this time. And I guess I can't blame her. That would hurt my heart too." Maple uttered slightly feeling remorse for Mrs. Crowder. "Then again ya can't say she ain't just as bleak around Christmas time either. Or any other time. But it explains I guess, why others when they saw Mr. Crowder alive, say she was just like Mrs Clause."

"The merriest." Grandmama Hastings replied.

"My guess, cuz she was getting some extra suga too!"

"Maple..." Grandmama gasped.

"I'm onlay sayin." Maple replied. "Don't let my thoughts stop you, Grandmama. Go on."

Maple, quiet as a dove, leaned back on that swing to patiently listen as Grandmama Hastings pressed on...

Feeling anxious that evening, Magnus managed to pull me away from your Mumma. Oddly enough even Jeffrey. Reluctantly for the time being, I left Jeffrey in yo Mumma's care. Not that she couldn't handle it, but for the mere fact, I didn't want to be gracious and help Magnus with her day. Like I said I just wanted to be home. Worse than that.. she coaxed my poor Matthew into helping her Rusty with his attire and preparation before the isle. Consequently, it is why for the time being, Scarlet was on her own. But I really can't say that either. I had strictly instructed Scarlet to stay with the other guests outside, until my return. I guess it was the first time, Scarlet didn't abide by words."

"She went on her own?"

"I don't know when, and I don't know how Maple, but somehow she found her way into that mansion. She passed the servants and butler all the way up stairs to the third level, carrying Jeffrey in tow."

"That's when she got the brooch? How did she know where it was or managed to get her hands on it?"

"Honestly Maple? I had no clue. Not until, Mrs. Lexington explained it all. From whut I learned, yo Mumma found her way into one of those elegant rooms, I like to thank she was only looking around out of sheer curiosity. I gather to my thoughts, perhaps because she had never seen a place like that, so she found herself roaming in the spirit of inquiry.  Worse somehow, I gather whut was propped on a desk somewhere, was a full glass of none other than some sherry wine."