Julius and Hal

How do you tell someone something, that you know is going to change the world around them and all they know? Perhaps forever? That was the very same pondering that ran through Grandma Hastings mind as she began to tell her children of the letter and the brooch...

"This brooch," Grandma Hastings said pointing to it... "is unlike any other brooch ever made. And there will never be another." She softly smiled. "As you know, it has been in our family longer than my years. It was uniquely designed and created by none other than yo grandfather Hastings." She said looking at her children.

"Great, great grandfather Hastings made it?"

"None other. With his bare hands." Grandma Hastings said squeezing Maple's soft hand.

"If he made it Grandmama, then why does Mrs. Crowder think it belongs to her family?"

"Cuz once upon time, my sugarplum, it did. But I can't say rightfully so." She sighed. "See your great, great, Grandfather Julius Hastings, was once a craftsman. A goldsmith. Best any ever saw in the rapidly developing town of Orange Haven. Well on occasion that is. Cuz in truth, my sweet loves, his work was rarely ever seen. Or sold for that matter. He worked for an upcoming Jewelry store. The finest. That is for Orange Haven. And the owner? Well the owner was none other than Hal Gordon Lexington. Magnus, Mrs. Crowder's, father.

Maple stared amazed....

"Back when Orange Haven was alive and well. It was
so colorful and it was the place to be. Oh you should have seen it! Today, it looks nothing like it did back then. A travesty if you ask me. But I digress. You see, Hal Lexington, had built his business there. And he built it in the finest part of town! And he wanted Julius with him. He knew of his talents and didn't want anyone else to ever have him. So of course he made lavish promises to your grandfather. Ones, no heart or dreamer could ever deny. Unfortunately, to Julius's dismay. They would turnout to be promises he never kept. In fact I don't think he ever truly intended to. Something sadly, Julius had to learn the hard way. Seeing as Hal Lexington was not the kindest man in Orange Haven. In fact he was a swindler. Oh he was the biggest swindler. But Julius didn't know that. Until it was far too late!"

"What did he do to gramps?" Jeffy asked.

"Yo grandfather, was an artisan who always was forced to be in the background. He worked long and hard hours, and to the best of his ability. He made pennies on the dollar. But he had a young family to provide for and needed the work. And there wasn't much job opportunities in Orange Haven for goldsmiths. Well, that none rivaled with the thriving Lexington Jewelry that is. Not to mention, He was fresh meat in that town. But Julius didn't lose heart. In fact he was the quite opposite. He was so full of hope and joy. No one could damper his spirits! And his wife, and three sons, and the one on the way, whom happened to be yo daddy, were his pride and joy!"

"So he used gramps?"

"Course. Like a dirty diaper! As much as he could. Which is all the more peculiar, that Hal Lexington had the most sweetest and kindest wife that ever graced Orange Haven. Oh she was somethin. And she treated Julius with the most gracious and humble attitude. Course, Hal couldn't stand that. But still he turned his eye, being preoccupied all on the fascination of his so called rising future empire. But not while keeping a close eye on his wife being near Julius or any other of the male species. He was the jealous sort. But Mrs. Lexington always kept him, maybe not so humble, but down to earth with what heart he had beating. She was after all, his inspiration. With that, He would make designs. One after the other. He wasn't bad at it mind you. But he wasn't as good as Julius. And he despised it so. Why sometimes, he would get so frustrated and throw his materials away. With that, Julius saw opportunity! Being the good man that Julius was, he would always ask for permission to keep the scraps. Lawd knows why, but Hal allowed. Curiosity of what was to come of it perhaps. So day in and day out, in his spare time, Julius would collect the extra scraps. He made some mighty pretty necklaces and brooches that caught the eye of some. But not enough for selling. At least that Hal would let on. So being the good man, he was, he actually gave what he made away to some of the less fortunate. All except one. His most prized possession.