A Night In The Woods

By nights end, Josephine lightly drifted off to dreams in the comfortable wagon of hay with her friend by her side. But Maple found her mind was restless with endless rambling thoughts...

Making not a sound to awaken her friend, she gently and quietly removed herself, as she placed the rest of the warm blanket on a content and peaceful Josephine.

Tipping to peek inside the ball, she found the  festivities seemed to be nowhere near an end. At least not till the toast of the ball for the Bloomfurd's anniversary rang in. Yet Maple, did not want to rejoin the crowd.

With that, she found herself without a creak or a crick, or the sound of the frosted grass tips, escaping alone and walking towards the woods. Just close enough to still glimpse the light of the festival and to hear the musical sounds of joy ringing in the air. But far enough to allude from all the others. From there, She decided to take a stroll near the icy waters...

Time seemed to stand still, as She suddenly realized she was just about in the same spot over two years ago that night. Oddly in that moment, she felt comforted as She found herself reminiscing in the moment. The one that changed it all.

With the music still close at bay, Maple began to dance on her own in such a merry delight, that there was no time for fear to be in sight. Almost as if she were even recapturing that moment. Even if it was only for a moment....

Her hums echoed in the autumn trees as they seemed to dance with her in the moonlight breeze. For once in her life she felt as if she were a young woman of beauty, in her lady of the lake disguise. Her mind was a playground of wonder as she let her imagination run away with her, as she portrayed the roll of her majestic costume.

Placing her sword in the air, then as a crutch for the slippery edge, she delicately slid closer to the icy waters of the moonlit lake. With a childlike intrigue of the story her mama would always read, She began to pretend to stir the waters with her trusty sword and recite aloud a line from the book where she held Merlin, the magician captive with his love.

It was almost as if she were giving a theatrical piece of intrigue and mystery to her invisible audience. Maple was so into her role, her reality was nonexistent.

Psssh! Kurrrack! CREAK!

And just like that, suddenly, she heard a thick rustling behind her. A crack of twig? What was it? Her heart stopped! She gulped as she called out....

MAPLE: "Who? Who's there?

SILENCE....

MAPLE: "Josephine? Is that you?"

But not a sound was heard... Nonetheless, the momentary contentment that reigned in her presence, no longer remained.

MAPLE: "Pifft! Whut am I doin?" She laughed as she tried to convince herself. "Ya hearin thangs Maple!" She mumbled aloud.

Taking a deep breath in, she calmed herself and her breathing as she closed her eyes laughing at her wild imagination...

But then there it was again!

Shiii emp!

Maple heard the rustling again...

MAPLE: "I have sword!" She called out to the wind. "Mind ya, it may be made of wood, but I kin beat ya like a drum, till yo heart is numb, if you tryin to pull anythang! I mean it!" She cried. "Naw it's yo choice..." She uttered as her lips began to quiver. But in boldness she managed form a brisk moment of bravery. "Escape like a fart driftin in the wind! Or come out to the light and show yoself, ya mangy cha cha chicken! Cuz I'm ready for ya!" She hollered, preparing her stance!