It Wasn't Supposed To Be This Way!

"Maple... I'm so desperately sorry." Andrew expressed in deep regret.

He tried to come to her. He wanted to hold her. But Maple's thorns were now showing and they were drawing blood...

"Maple..."

"No." Maple said rejecting his touch.

A broken hearted Maple, pulled away from an apologetic and repentant Andrew. She closed her eyes as the tears, one by one, uncontrollably escaped. She closed them wanting this nightmare to be untrue. But that nightmare? Why it wasn't going anywhere, but down...

Upon Andrew's confession, Maple's heart just crumbled. And there was no one to pick up the pieces.

"So naw I know." She said laughing through her tears.

"Maple.."

"Don't..." She scolded. "Don't.. touch...me. You are a liar, Andrew Wellington. And you are a thief!" She hissed! "You are far worse than Mrs. Crowder could ever be!" She cried.

"I'm sorry, Maple." Andrew cried.

"Well it's too late for that!" She scoffed!"

A overheated Maple, gave Andrew, the eyes of ire. Something he had never seen from her before. At least not towards him. And it was like a thousand daggers, seeped in poison, jabbing incessantly, to his penitent heart. It broke him to his core. And Maple knew it. But there was one thing Maple was still bemused about..,

"Josephine..."

"Whut about her?"

"I take it you told her this?"

"Yes." Andrew whispered.

"Oh..." Maple scoffed. "She's not like me. I bet if she were, she would have socked you good! But I fear she is more forgiving than I could ever be."

Something still didn't make sense...

"Why if you told her whut you told me tonight... why didn't she come to me? Why... why did she abruptly leave Ponchas? And without so much as a goodbye? Moreover, without you by her side? Because the Josephine I know and love, as much as you have wronged me, she would have still stood by your side. And attempted to lessen the blow. That is her character. That's jest how she loves. And I know she loves you, more than anythang in this world. Undoubtedly, she would be livid with the flames of fury. But it would not have stopped her from bein with you. In fact, she would be standin right here with you, no matter the course, through this all! Because, the one thang I know bout her, she is like metal to an oak tree. It takes a lot for her to break. So it doesn't make any sense that she is not here holdin my hand. Or yours for that matter. So explain to me, why she would jest leave? Just like that?"

Andrew began to walk to Mrs. Crowder's bar as he began to help himself to her cabinet. Mrs. Crowder was so sauced she was currently in her own little world...

"Don't walk away from me, Andrew!" Maple exclaimed!

"I told you! She knows about the brooch!" He said dousing his sorrows with a heavy drink.

"There's more to it! She wouldn't jest leave Andrew."

But a curt Andrew wouldn't give Maple any justification of an explanation that she desired to hear...

"Answer me! Why isn't she here?"

"Leave it!" He gruffly replied taking another drink!

"After whut you done confessed tonight? Oh no! You don't get off that easy! You have been so open... you owe me more! So whut did you do Andrew?" Maple hissed.