I'll Show You All

"That brooch Magnus, contrary to what you might thank, it neva belonged to us. Not to our family. Not fully that is. Not even yo daddy's jewels. Naw I know you must hate me for sayin that and thinkin I'm betrayin you in sayin this my little stinkbug. But truth is... I betrayed more, a sweet, and innocent young soul, Scarlet.... And her family. Naw see, she was sittin on this here stand, fightin for her innocence. Truth is, she should have neva even gone that far." Mrs. Lexington said looking at the jury. "Nonetheless, Mr. Bloomfurd, yo honor, I have to make a confession, in the eyes of the Loard, and all here and naw, the onlay truth you need to know right here and now is, there is no lie that I can truly defend when I say, there is very much unfortunate truth in the fact of what my daughter, has been rantin about! And for years now. In fact I can tell you now, Magnus did not lie when I say this... Scarlet did in fact, take that brooch on Magnus wedding day all them years back... I can attest to that, because I saw it all... Scarlet, without a doubt, is by far guilty of that.

Just then the whole courthouse gasped in their oooo's and ah's at Mrs. Lexington's sudden admission. And oh how they stared at a criminal faced Mama Woods in a sheer veil of stupor!

"Order! Order in the court!" Judge Bloomfurd hollered! "Shut up!" He screeched. "Naw Mrs. Lexington, I jest calmed this courtroom down not moments ago. And once again, you got the chickens that flew dog gone coop, stirrin up like wildfire and ready to be fried alive! Whut are you tryin to do?"

"Tell the truth yo honor." Mrs. Lexington boldly stated. "Naw are you gone let me finish?"

"Make yo point." He nodded in agreement.

"Naw as I was sayin yo honor, Scarlet..." She paused for a moment and stared in Mama Woods sullen eyes... "did take that brooch willingly and of sound mind, mind you. At least sound mind at the time. And it left the premises of my manor with her. Whether she remembers it or not. Truth is, if you really wanna know, why I am the one, that made her take it! And I would do it all ova again!" She boldly stated. "And I made her promise not to tell a soul. I just didn't know that when I told her to keep it hidden, so much so, she would even go as far as to hide it from own herself." She said slightly winking at Mama Woods. "Course, I can't say that was fully her fault." She frowned looking at her daughter. "And you know exactly just what I mean." She scowled as Mrs. Crowder gulped. "But that's a story for another time. Never more, befoe anyone calls the lynch mob any further, Scarlet had every right to take that brooch... I stand by that! And I stand by sayin, this here trial is a farce! And it has gone on long enough! Enough is enough! And I intend it to put an end it if it's the last thang I do! Right here and now!" She belted standing up!

However, as quickly as she stood, Mrs. Lexington fell back just as quick. If not quicker! The crowd gasped and the Bailiff ran to a faint appearing Mrs. Lexington's aide.

"Stop this fuss!" She uttered pushing the bailiff away. "I'm alright." Mrs. Lexington said sitting up, trying to catch her breath. "Naw see here, I'm perfectly fine." She breathed. "It's jest... the stank of it all." She groaned fanning her hands in the air. "The room was just spinnin and all. I gather that is my fault. Whew!" She huffed! "I'm sorry I can't take it anymore, but I swear there is a hint of the texture of a dead skunk and rotten eggs in this here room! And is that a hint of mothballs? She groaned taking the judge's handkerchief to her nose. "You too would fall over weak at the knees if you just inhaled what I unfortunately did."

"You don't have to tell me none." The judge griped in full agreement! "Sandford, open another window."

"Ain't no moe winda's to open yo honor."

"Then open a cotton pickin door!" Judge Bloomfurd griped.

"Yessir." Bailiff Sandford obliged.

"Heck open all of them! And any other cracks! Put a hole in the wall if you have ta!" He deeply wheezed. "Naw Mrs. Lexington__"

"I said I am quite alright judge." She quickly interjected. "I promise." Mrs. Lexington said crossing her fingers. "It's just that stank of a aroma__"

"Say no moe. I have smellin sauce right side me in case I knock to the wind myself." He said gawking at both Mrs. Crowder and Mr. Kransten in utter disdain. "Naw if you are truly okay to proceed__"

"I am."

"Then I will seal my lips for the time being. Proceed."

"Thank you, yo honor." Mrs. Lexington said taking another sip from her glass. "Scarlet, as you all can see and probably know by now, has no clear recollection of taken that brooch of her free will, because she was injured that day at my estate. But I know everything that happened. And why she willingly took the brooch on my behalf. You see, I showed her the truth that no one has ever seen, but me. And of course  Julius Hastings, in the flesh. Not even my belated husband ever even knew. If he did, I onlay fear, the truth would have died with him. And perhaps then, I would have been blind to the truth, and Scarlet, would have never even thought of taking back what she knew to be of the rightful ownership of the Hastings Clan. I am about to show you all what I should have revealed to you, Magnus on day one. And of course to you, Olivia and your sweet beloved Matthew. Before I do, I beg you to forgive me, for holding my silence for this long. I can make no excuses. But She is after all my daughter, you see." Mrs. Lexington said gazing at Mrs. Crowder. "And I was onlay tryin to protect her. You bein a mother, yourself should know. A mother would do anything for her child. Imperfect or not. Would she not? Now I know it was a mistake. I can't take it back. No matter how much I may want to. Or have tried in the past. And with these unfortunate turn of events, I kin neva ask for you, Olivia, Scarlet, perhaps even Maple's forgiveness after this."

"Mrs. Lexington just whut are you sayin?"

"Hand me the brooch, Judge, and I'll show you. I'll show you all..."