Something Don't Set Right

Now you would think with Mama Woods being on trial in the presence of her peers that she would have a fair chance with the jury. It ain't so folks! Like bees to honey and flies to poop, there she was in her best villain-esk vibe. Mrs. Crowder played the roll of victim well. Not only that, but many on the jury feared the wrath of Mrs. Crowder if they showed one inkling of a twitch in the direction of Mama Woods.

Nope... she made sure Mama Woods would have anything, but a fair trial. Especially since Mrs. Crowder owned most property of Ponchas Row Avenue. Or should I say people. Seeing as her husband Rusty was once mayor of the town. And they helped build Ponchas into what it is today. Some felt they owed a debt to the late Rusty Crowder. And well, Mrs. Crowder was coming to collect on that debt.

Day three of the Mama Woods versus Mrs. Crowder sadly continued as Mrs. Crowder somehow found a way to have some testify against Mama Woods personal character...

Now how was it that Mrs. Crowder, in a matter of just a few weeks, was able to turn half that town of Ponchas against Mama Woods?

You could feel the animosity in the air. But Mama Woods refused to let the eyes of ire melt her down.

If you could just see Mama Woods and how she sat there minute after minute, hour after hour, day after day, listening to her own reputation be smeared and tainted she wondered who that woman was that the plaintiff was describing. Nonetheless, Mama Woods sat as quiet as mouse before cheese on a trap, just waiting for the right moment to somehow escape the bait that Mrs. Crowder cleverly set before.

As you know, it was no strange thing to see Mama Woods set there with a blank face of peculiarity when Mrs. Crowder took the stand and told her side of the story when Mrs. Crowder stated that Mama Woods was of age when she maliciously stole her family heirloom in broad day light. And from right under her nose. And you can bet your bottom dollar, that she dare not mention the chase or the fall. Why she would never. And the only one who could collaborate with that story, or should I say elaborate on that story to tell the actual facts, was still laying in a bed in Orange Haven barely hanging on....

When the judge called for recess... the court allowed some time for Mama Woods to be with her family...

"Mumma? You alright?" Maple said rushing into the room and embracing her mother tight.

"I'm well as kin be expected sugarplum." She replied petting Maples twisted locks. "It's funnay."

"Whut is Mumma?"

"Well when she said I took the brooch at twelve. Why it can't be. It's ridiculous. Mumma said I was nuthin but a baby in diapers when this ridiculous hoopla occurred." She laughed.

Maple mournfully looked at her Mama just as she started to speak...

"Baby?"

"Mumma?" Mama Woods uttered floored.

Grandmama Hastings came walking into those closed quarters with the eyes of woe. And there Mama Woods was like a child again in the arms of her Mama as she wept, like there was no tomorrow. It had been the first time she had ever cried since being on trial... Sadly it would not be the last.

Grandmama Hastings gathered her children, Maple and this time even Fred around, as she began to tell her the true story of how the brooch was taken. And when she was through the room was silent as the dead...

"Scarlet? Say somethin." Grandmama Hastings pleaded.

"You... Mumma... have been holdin this from me, all these years?"

"I thought I was protectin you, baby."

"Oh yes. And here I sit on trial. And for whut I am truly guilty of."

"No Scarlet, you weren't guilty." Grandmama Hastings cried.

"Mumma, I was..." Mama Woods argued.

"I could have easily returned it and this would have neva taken place." Grandmama Hastings spoke in utter guilt.

"But you didn't. And now I must." Mama Woods said standing up.

"No Mumma!" Maple cried.

"And you knew of this?" She said staring at her daughter disappointed. "And you tried to tell me, so many times." Mama Woods said walking up to Maple and kissing her forehead. "And I jest wouldn't listen. I regret that."

"Mumma, listen to Grandmama! You did nuthin wrong and neither did she!" Maple pleaded. "Didn't you hear her? She said Mrs. Lexington said we were, we are the rightful owners."

"Sugarplum... don't you understand? It doesn't matter who the owner of that there brooch is. I stole it. Plain and simple. Mrs. Crowder told that part true."

"You don't even remember that Scar. It's her word against yours." Jeffy fussed. "Naw how you gonna confess to somethin you can't even, for the life of you recall?"

"It doesn't matter Jeffy!"

"Why don't it? Heck Scar, all this time you thought you were a baby! And naw hearin those words from Mumma, you are ready throw your life away? And that of our family's?" Naw I maybe younger than you, and you always callin me a heathen. But I have more sense than you rat naw, if you jest thank, you are gonna go out there and tell that paid off jury that you were guilty on all accounts! Can't you get through your thick skull woman? Some em don't see right!" Jeffy argued.

"Jeffy is right, Scarlet." Daddy Woods said finally breaking his silence.

"Oh Fred..."

"No honey, he is right. In fact I would know. Cuz I was there that day..."

"What?" They all said a jarred in shocked unison.

"Fred, how kin that be? It can't."

"But is." He said standing up in the middle of the room. "I was the servant who held you in my arms and carried you to the car that day." Daddy Woods said. "The boy, Mama Hastings, that you screeched let go of my child."

Grandmama Hastings gasped in shock as she stared into Fred's eyes and all came flooding back...

"Every thang yo Mumma told you, Scarlet, is true."