Inner Secrets pt 1

Mama Woods, sat up in that bedroom as the tears began to roll down her cheeks. Maple thought surely her ears were playing tricks on her as she just heard her Mama reveal a secret she had been keeping hidden for over five years...

"Mumma, whut are you sayin?"

"I'm sayin six years ago, after the trial, I was so tired I just wanted to be with nobody, but my loved ones."

"And you were."

"Yes. I was." Mama Woods replied. "But the very next day, when I sent you to go get some groceries, cause our pantry were barren, Tator came by."

"Why didn't you say anythang?"

"Maple, I wuz tired. And after whut Mrs. Crowder put us through, well I wuz still in a way bitter. Now I know I always taught you to forgive and pray foe yo enemies, well Mrs. Crowder, you of all people know, she was and is a special case. Cause she seriously did one on me. And well you might as well know now, yo mumma ain't perfect. I'm far from it." Mama Woods divulged.

"So when did he come?"

"You left early that mornin. You were eager to spend time with me, since not being locked and cooped up in that dirty old cell. So you rushed out of the house so fast, to get the groceries before I could even get in the car with you."

"I remember that. I remember laughin and wavin goodbye to you while you were standin on the porch. I was tickled at your expression like I left you high and dry. But I remember, I didn't wont you to do nothin, but relax."

"And I did." Mama Woods made known. "For a short while, I stayed out there. And I admit, I enjoyed the peace and the quiet. It seemed like it was nothin but the birds, me, and the angelic sky, on that tranquil sunny day. But not even a few minutes later, he arrived."

"He must've came the opposite way. Cause I sure enough didn't see him."

"No you didn't. And yes he did." Mama Woods admitted. "I think he left his motorcycle around the bin. Just close enough to walk. But far enough out of eye view. Perhaps he didn't wont to alert yo daddy, knowin, he'd probably woulda gotten the shot gun. Smart if you ask me." Mama Woods mentioned. "Our family didn't need any moe trials with the likes of the Lexington clan."

"Well, whut did he do and say when he arrived?"

Mama Woods used the other side of the breakfast napkin. Blowing her nose, she got up from the bed and gazed out the window...

"Mumma..."

"He asked for yo hand, Maple..."

"Whut?"

"And I said no..."

"Mumma... why would you do that?"

"Cause I didn't wont the likes of him to be anywhere near my child. Moreover an excuse for Mrs. Crowder to be continually be prying in our lives! Especially after we won the case and the brooch was rightfully returned to us."

"So you jest made the decision foe me?"

"I thought I was doin whut was best!"

"I told you, in full confidence, before the trial that I was in love with him!"

"I know."

"And you even told me, in short, not to let him get away."

"I know whut I said Maple..." Mama Woods sullenly replied.

"Then why? Why would you do that? And not console me?"

"I was protectin you?"

"Don'tchu thank that shoulda been my choice?"