Untitled Part 71

Parents always told their children, to not talk with strangers. That strangers are dangerous. His father never told him or his siblings that. Mostly because for him he was a weapon. Not a child. And even if he would have told him that. Who would have listened when you are trapped in a post-apocalyptic world with minimum chance of surviving?

Five had been stupid and reckless, he didn't listen and he ran from home and he used his powers to time travel even if his father told him that he was not ready yet. He should have listened or stopped after two jumps. But he didn't. And now he was stuck in a world devoid of people. Worse, he had seen his siblings' dead bodies as well. He had spent there a few weeks when she had come. 

Five was in a shop, his new temporary shelter, and looked through his provision. He has a couple of cans of food and two protein bars and two bottles of water. This is something that should last him for the whole week. Even more too. Water is rare. But food is even rarer. Five tensed when he heard high heel shoes hitting the ground. Great. He was hallucinating again. Not that it would be the first time. Soon enough a woman, old enough to be his mother or grandmother, appeared in front of him. She was dressed in a short black dress and was wearing red high shoes. She doesn't look like someone that belongs there. There was no speck of dirt on her.

"Well hello there little one", she said with a smile. She looked more predatory than comforting. She kneeled in front of him. "You are not big on conversation. Are you?" she asked as Five kept quiet.

"There's no point in talking with you. You are just a hallucination"

"Oh, darling" Five cringed at the pet name. "I'm very much real. See", she said and touched Five. Five tensed. He hallucinated before. His siblings who remind him that it was his fault that they are dead and blamed him for abandoning them. But they never touched him. Five hand flew and he grabbed the woman's wrist. She felt real. "See. Real"

"Who are you?"

"You can call me the Handler." Handler? What name was that? But then again he shouldn't be the one to talk. His name is a number. "I'm here to take you away"

"Take me away?"

The woman hummed. "To a safe place. Away from here"

"No place is safe anymore."

"Yes. There is. You just have to trust me"The Hnalder said as she stood up and held a hand for Five as well. Five looked at the hand and he hesitated a little before he grabbed it. He was pulled from the ground and the world dissolved around him. The sensation was similar to the one he gets when he teleport. Five stumbled a little and when everything stopped spinning he looked around. He was in a weird room. There were monitors with people looking at them. He could see humans living their daily lives through that monitors. There were people walking around the room, all dressed in black suits. Men and Women. How is that possible? "Welcome to the Commission, "The Handler said as she let go of his hand.

"The Commission?"

"Yes. We control the timeline. Make sure that everything goes as it should and nothing and no one would change it"

"Are we still in 2019?"

"If you want to think that we are still in 2019 then go ahead"

"How... How there are people here?"

"I will explain to you one day. "

"Mother" Five turned around as he heard a woman's voice and he looked to see a woman, dressed in a black suit like everyone else. Her skin was tanned and her hair was black and short. She stopped in front of him and The Handler and he realized that she called The Handler her mother. He looked between the two of them. They don't look alike at all.