Chapter 1: House of the Dragon

YEAR 110 AC

―King's Landing―

Red Keep ― Royal gardens...

Aeonar, now fifteen years old, stood beneath the weirwood tree in the godswood waiting and slightly fidgeting. By the Gods, he was nervous! For years he has been friends with Alicent since they were children, but as they matured into adolescents, he could help but notice something different in the way he feels about her - Alicent had already developed as a beautiful, comely young woman. After yesterday's small council meeting, Aeonar finally mustered enough courage to ask Alicent to meet him in the godswood during the evening as it was important. He felt as if his throat was drying and tried to calm his nerves. He rehearsed his lines several times for practice, but now that it was happening, Aeonar was hoping that he would not make a fool out of himself or worse - jeopardize his friendship with Alicent.

"Ahem! So, Alicent... I apologize for causing any inconvenience and I thank you for coming on such short notice. As you can no doubt speculate, I — No! Seven hells, that is stupid! Ah, Alicent. Good morning. That's a very lovely dress you have there— No, no, no, that sounds even worse! She is going to know for sure something is up! What if she says yes, but... but what if she says no? Ugh, she's going to hate me."

"Hate you for what?"

Aeonar's ears perked up at the sound of a soft, feminine voice coming from behind him. As he turned around, Aeonar could not help but notice Alicent wearing a stunning sleeveless navy-blue dress with golden embroidery stitched into her neckline and along her waistline.

"Oh! Oh, ah, Alicent. I didn't... hear you."

"I'm sorry for being late. Father was a bit preoccupied with Gwayne, and... among other things. I meant to congratulate you on your appointment to the council, Aeonar, but..."

"It's not a big deal, Alicent. You know I always have time for you."

"Thanks. You're too kind."

Barely seven months ago, word had already spread throughout the capital when Aeonar made history by becoming the small council's youngest member upon being named the new Master of Whisperers and Lord Confessor by King Viserys. As the Seven Kingdom's official spymaster, he amassed a large coterie of his agents to expand his network and provide an alternative when force or diplomacy fails, dispatching spies throughout the realm and as far east as Essos to collect information or engage in espionage and assassinations. Now that he had a seat and a say in the art of governance, Aeonar was more than determined to prove his worth. That being said, though, more senior advisors had not seemed to take the Prince of Dragonstone seriously on account of his age. And even if his reports were believed, it would be the Hand of the King - Ser Otto Hightower - who took the credit, much to Aeonar's irritation.

"Anyway," Alicent continued, "you mentioned you had something to discuss. Said it was important. Is something wrong?"

Aeonar inhaled through his nostrils. Okay, Aeonar. You went through all the trouble to ask her out here, now is your only chance to lay it out. But be mindful. Respect her wishes, do not force anything, and accept her choices - even if they are not the ones for which you are hoping. "What? I... No, nothing is wrong," he shook his head visibly flustered. Damn it, Aeonar! You are ruining it! "It's just..."

"Aeonar? Are you feeling well? Your face is turning bright red."

Not good! "I am... fine. There is no straightforward way to say this." Settle down, try again. "I was just hoping to spend some time alone with you." Aeonar sat down beneath the weirwood tree.