Chapter 18: Siege of Bloodstone (Part 1)

Red Keep ― Maegor's Holdfast...

Alicent felt beads of sweat beginning to drip from her forehead as she continued her slow breathing exercises. "Oooohh..." she moaned. "Was... was this what mother had to endure? Oh, by the Mother..." she felt bile crawl up her throat before forcing herself to gulp. Before long, she began to toss and turn. "Oh please... make it stop. Make it— Ah!" Alicent's eyes suddenly widened, and she sprang up sharply. Lowering her eyes, she cautiously lifted the sheets to find a sticky wet substance between her legs, staining the gown and mattress. "GAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

The room was deafened by the sudden sharp screech.

"My lord Hand," one of the septas quickly hurried around, "she's going into labor! It is time! The baby's coming!"

It did not take long before word spread and suddenly the entire castle was thrown into chaos. Alicent was moved to the birthing room, the one where Queen Aemma had birthed Prince Baelon not long ago. Midwives and maesters circled her like buzzards. Outside the room, septons and septas prayed loudly for a healthy birthing. Otto paced back and forth like a caged tiger, wringing his hands. Never before had Gwayne seen his father in such distress.

The door of the chamber suddenly burst open, and King Viserys entered with Princess Rhaenyra quickly behind him. The princess immediately rushed to the side of Alicent, taking her hand and holding it tight as she dabbed her sister-in-law's head with a cloth.

"I'm here Alicent, I am here," Rhaenyra soothingly reassured her.

Viserys looked fearfully at his daughter-in-law. "The baby, has it...?" he asked.

"NNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHH!!!"

Otto nodded his head "The midwife and Grand Maester assured me that the child had turned. Still, this is her first child..."

"AAHHH!! UGGGHHHH!!"

Images instantly came to Viserys's mind of Aemma, screaming, tears, and of bloodstained sheets. But he forced the images from his mind. Alicent was already throwing her head back as she let out another wail, gripping the bedsheets while Grand Maester Mellos was already at work between her spread legs. Rhaenyra gently dabbed a piece of wet cloth on Alicent's forehead and neck, wiping off beads of sweat; the pain was horrible. Alicent kept her eyes shut tight and felt pressure as the baby continually moved down with each push. She had been gradually getting more tired with each push.

"HNNNNNNGGG!!!"

"That's it, my lady," Mellos encouraged. "You're doing good. Just keep pushing!"

"Come on, Alicent! Fight it," Rhaenyra was more pressing. "Push! Get the baby out!"

"I-I'm trying!" Alicent wailed. "It hurts! It hurts!" she gripped Rhaenyra's hands.

"Give her something!"

"AAAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!"

"We've already given her plenty of milk of the poppy without risking the baby," Mellos advised against the suggestion. "A woman's first time delivering a newborn always poses a challenge, but Lady Alicent is fighting with every fiber of her being."

Alicent gasped and slumped her head back on the pillow, panting heavily. Her brow was drenched with sweat, and her hair stuck to her face. Seven hells, she was in incredible pain. Inhaling through her nose and exhaling in small, steady sharp breaths yet groaning in such agony through her clenched teeth, Alicent felt the septas adjusting her posture into a reclining position.

"Ooooohh!"

"Keep breathing," one of the midwives said.

"Huff...! Huff...! Huff...! Huff...! Huff! Huff! Huff!"

"And push!"

Alicent held her breath, closed her eyes tight again, and pressed down, pushing as hard as she could. "GGGGGGGUUUUUUU!!" she screamed with more contractions hitting her.