Chapter 36: Enough is Enough

Red Keep ― Maegor's Holdfast...

Alicent spent the early morning tending to her sons. Raising three boys – Jaehaerys, Aegon, and Viserys – was exhausting. She usually required a lot of help from her handmaidens, especially from Talya, who quickly proved to be her most loyal lady-in-waiting. But whenever she got a moment to rest, Alicent routinely checked in on Rhaenyra and King Viserys to ensure both were feeling well. The Targaryens may be the ruling dynasty of the Seven Kingdoms, but to her, they were like a second family. And family meant everything to her. Alicent knew cracks were forming and she worked tirelessly to mend the rift and heal relations, but the progress proved more challenging for her at times. However, she would not give up until the family was made whole again, the very family she remembered growing up.

"Have you spoken to her?"

Viserys, looking back at his daughter-in-law holding a cup of freshly brewed tea for him, graciously accepted. "No," he admitted. "No, I'm afraid I didn't. It's... a lot to take in. Not simply as a king, but as a father. Still, the allegations don't make things any easier. I can't believe Rhaenyra and my brother would even do such a thing."

"I don't think it's in Rhaenyra's nature to be deceitful. At least, not to my knowledge. Though I'm afraid I cannot say the same for your brother, Your Grace," Alicent said.

"You believe he lied? Daemon might be... rash, arrogant, and even quarrelsome on more than one occasion for as long as I've known him. But how does confessing to such things serve him?"

"By reducing you, and your son."

Viserys sighed deeply. Hanging his head low, the king contemplated long and hard how it came down to this. Even if the allegations were dispelled, the rumors would still linger. "How is Aeonar taking it?" he asked.

Alicent shook her head. "He's looking into the matter personally," she told him. "Rhaenyra and I went to him and laid out everything that Rhaenyra told me, from her sneaking out of the castle at night with Daemon to her being left all alone at a pleasure house in the Street of Silk. It sounds crazy, Your Grace, I know, but instead of reprimanding her Aeonar just listened."

"That... does sound like him. I remember. I understand now it's what he did in his days as my Master of Whisperers, putting together all the pieces. If the connections were there, he wouldn't ignore or deny them. I just hope he finds something to quell the allegations. However, even so, whatever transpired, Rhaenyra is not innocent."

"Only because Daemon tried to corrupt her."

"They share the blood of the dragon."

"As do your grandchildren," Alicent reminded her father-in-law. "Rhaenyra swore to me that she remains a maiden. She swears she's innocent. And I believe her. Aeonar will find the proof we need."

Viserys wanted so desperately to believe that his daughter was innocent as Alicent claims. But the mounting pressure was just too much.

« House Velaryon wishes to reconcile with you. [...] Lord Corlys has offered the hand of his daughter, the Lady Laena, in marriage. To unify the two great Valyrian houses in the Seven Kingdoms and demonstrate your reign's strongest days are ahead, not behind. Quite the offer, wouldn't you say? [...] I understand your reservations. But should you choose to consent to the arrangement, it would mend the lingering rift caused by the Great Council and demonstrate your sincerity in retaining the crown's strongest ally. A betrothal with the Sea Snake's daughter would not formally begin until Laena comes of age; so, think of it as a long-term engagement. Besides, it would go a long way at home and abroad. »

« You want my honest opinion? Driftmark would make a far more valuable ally to have rather than a dangerous enemy. If you want a strategic advantage, then yes, I think you should wed Laena Velaryon. You are the King, and so, your first duty is to the realm. Mother would have understood this. Just as I do. »