Chapter 69: I'm Coming Home (Part 1)

Dun Fort ― Duskendale...

As the sun shined brightly, the town of Duskendale sparkled in the early morning light. Enclosed by towering walls, it served as the home of House Darklyn and boasted a bustling port on Blackwater Bay. Lord Gunther Darklyn, who had close ties to his uncle Ser Steffon of the Kingsguard, extended his hospitality to Princess Rhaenyra and Prince Daemon after they were banished from King's Landing. It had been six years since the day Daemon and Rhaenys defied precedent and married each other in an old Valyrian ceremony without the consent of the king or council. Still, even they knew they were constantly watched to ensure they did not commit any more follies. So, accompanied by their children Jacaerys, Lucerys, Joffrey Velaryon, and Rhaena Targaryen, they were welcomed into the Dun Fort, a squat square stone castle with giant drum towers overlooking the port. While his advisors suggested they stay at the Seven Swords inn, Lord Gunther decided to grant the Targaryen family the privilege of staying in one of the most luxurious rooms in his castle as a gesture of goodwill.

Prince Jacaerys, Rhaenyra's sixteen-year-old son, became a handsome teenager who took a proactive approach to his studies and immersed himself in learning High Valyrian. Responsible, bold, and politically savvy, he was determined to master his mother's native language, which was widely spoken among their family members. He was often seen deep in thought with his lips slightly pursed as he studied. Gah, this would be much easier if... no! No, Jace. Don't even think such thoughts. Rise above it. You're a prince; you know you're better than this. If Jay can do it, so can you. Although he had a solid resolve to become a respected leader, it seems that Jace has moments of frustration and anger when faced with challenges or provoked. "'The Conqueror and his sisters sailed with a great army,'" he resumed his lessons.

"Se Blākuata Rāsho drāñot vilinio viārtis," Gerardys proceeded in High Valyrian. A maester of the Citadel renowned for his exceptional capabilities as a healer, he was assigned to serve as Princess Rhaenyra's personal maester. Such a prestigious appointment bears testament to his expertise and unwavering commitment to the art of healing.

"'And landed at the Blackwater Rush.'"

Rhaenyra, now pregnant with her sixth child, entered the room. She was proud of her firstborn and watched him. The Realm's Delight wore a decadent off-the-shoulder black dress with two red dragons stitched to the bodice of her garment, paying to her family of House Targaryen. Rhaenyra had also taken on the crucial role of caring for her growing family as a devoted mother. Her union with Daemon had been fruitful, resulting in the birth of two more children with a third on the way. They had sent letters to King's Landing requesting permission to introduce their offspring to the court, but so far, the only response had been silence. But Rhaenyra knew the reason for the silence. The king, who was always kind and forgiving, was willing to forgive his daughter and brother's transgressions. But her brother Aeonar, however, was not as gracious as their father and refused to allow either of them to return to an unstable court. "'Drāñot,'" she assisted. Despite her son's commitment, Rhaenrya did feel Jace was pushing himself a little too hard.

Jacaerys noticed his mother's presence. "Drāñot. Drāñot..." Come on; you know this word. "'At the end'?" he asked.

"The mouth."

"Mouth! Mouth, mouth, mouth. Come on, Jace, you knew that. You've been told this word countless times! Drāñot. Drāñot..."

"Drāñot vilinio viārtis―" Gerardys resumed his instructions.

"Drāñot," Jacaerys muttered as he strived to improve daily, never letting himself off the hook for any mistakes or slip-ups. "Drāñot... Ah! Come on, Jace. You know this one. Gods, where is Jay when you need him..." he reprimanded himself.