Chapter 17: New Arrivals, New Battles to Fight

YEAR 113 AC

Red Keep ― Small Council chambers...

It has been more than eight-and-a-half, almost nine months, since the sudden departure of two of the crown's influential individuals. Many had noticed the now two empty seats on the council. With no Master of Ships or Master of Whisperers, there was no doubt going to be many questions. Lord Corlys was the wealthiest man in Westeros and commanded the realm's best fleet, and Prince Aeonar was one of the best spymasters of his time. This would certainly complicate things.

A messenger then arrived. "Your Grace. My lord Hand," he arrived. "A contingent of landed knights have been reported gathering in large numbers before sailing south to invade the Stepstones with their private army... and three dragons, towards Grey Gallows and Torturer's Deep. It seems that despite our protests, Lord Corlys and your brother Prince Daemon have declared war on the Crabfeeder."

Otto accepted the missive and looked it over while Viserys leaned back in his chair and rubbed his brow. He finished reading the message and sighed. "It would seem that Corlys, Daemon, and Aeonar each made a pact with each other. Corlys would provide the ships, Daemon the soldiers, and Aeonar the intelligence."

Lord Lyonel tapped his fingers against the table strongly. "This will be seen as nothing less than a declaration of war against the Triarchy. They will respond in kind," he remarked.

Lyman shook his head. "The crown has not declared war on the Triarchy. This is the act of a single lord."

"And being supported by two sovereign princes," Grand Maester Mellos scoffed.

"A prince that was betrayed by those he trusted not once, but twice now," one of the Lykirī Mēre assassins accompanying Aeonar to Dragonstone arrived through an open window behind the council. "Our order has trained Prince Aeonar well in our arts. Without him, the losses would have been insurmountable. The conflict in the Stepstones will be resolved in less than a year instead of five. Be fortunate the son long surpassed the father, for the dragon within his very soul... has awakened."

Ser Harrold Westerling placed himself between the King and the assassin, his hand on his sword. "And you would do well to remember that it is the King who commands here." He said firmly but Viserys rose and placed a hand on the Lord Commander's shoulder.

"Harrold, enough," Viserys said gently as he looked at the assassin. "Do you bring a message from my son?"

The assassin was of Yi Ti origin. "He brings no message... to a father who's failed him twice over," she shook her head. "The young prince strikes out on his own, to make his mark on the world, to correct the father's mistakes. Any other parent would be proud of their child's success, but it would seem the blood of the dragon wasn't thick enough for you to not trust him nor acknowledge all he's done for you." She tilted her head sideways. "Your son did love you but taking away the one called Aemma Arryn and spurning him more times seemed to rip that love away... and replace it with something else entirely." She tossed a dagger at the table, sticking it to the wood. "So, the Lykirī Mēre instead will pass on the message for him: 'stay out of his way... or lose him forever. For the Heir of the Flames will bring about the restoration of the House of the Dragon.' Farewell, Your Grace... May we never meet again."

The assassin then backflipped out the window. Viserys looked over the edge, but she was nowhere to be seen. Whoever these Lykirī Mēre assassins were, they were highly trained and considered extremely dangerous. Yet... they follow Aeonar's commands?

Red Keep ― Royal apartments...

Viserys sat in his room, polishing a statue of a miniature stone dragon that overlooked his model city of the ancient Valyrian capital.

Beatrice Peake, the king's second consort, was in the room as well. In her arms, she was carrying the king's infant son, Prince Aegon – named after the legendary conqueror himself. The child had the classic Valyrian features of pale skin, silver-blonde hair, and purple eyes and bore a strong similarity in appearance to his father and older half-brother. She walked up from behind Viserys and gently placed one of her hands on his shoulder and began to massage them. "How can you allow your son to disrespect you like that?" she asked.

"He is young and angry. I was much the same at his age."

"This is more than youthful defiance. He has all but declared an open rebellion against your rule. Launching a war on his own, absconding with the royal fleet, making cause with your traitorous brother."

"Perhaps this is for the best. War will keep Daemon out of trouble and some bloodletting will humble Corlys. With time Aeonar will come around. Even my cousin Rhaenys made peace with our grandfather before the end."

"And what if he does not? What if his conquest of the Stepstones only fuels his ambition and what if he comes to take your throne?"

"Utter nonsense," Viserys said dismissively.

"Oh, my sweet love," Beatrice said as she kissed the top of Viserys's head. "You are so kind. But victory does strange things to people. Once they have a taste of power and authority they only want more. I would be wary, the Aeonar that returns from his battles may not be the one you knew."

Unknown to either of them, someone was listening at the door to the chamber. None other than Rhaenyra herself. She had planned to come and speak to her father, but after what she had heard she decided to head to her chambers and had a letter she wanted to send to Dragonstone. Aeonar and Alicent would want to know about this.