Chapter 70: I'm Coming Home (Part 2)

Red Keep ― Small Council chambers...

"We have continued to enjoy improved customs duties since the settling of the Stepstones," Lord Lyman, despite being seventy-six years old, is still an invaluable asset to the crown. He has been serving as the Master of Coin for a long time, offering insightful advice on financial matters and handling the royal treasury with the utmost care. "And the extent to which we exploit those is contingent on the harbor master's receipts. Of which, um, uh, the septons have requested half that again for a bronze bust they wish to commission for the Festival of the Mother, which I would not recommend."

Seated at the helm of the table, Aeonar chaired the day's small council meeting with a sense of duty and responsibility, where he had been representing the crown in the absence of his ailing father. In addition to being beset by a long-term debilitating illness, King Viserys suffered a stroke that left him temporarily paralyzed on his left side, impeding his body's muscles and his ability to speak clearly, eat or swallow easily. Aeonar had been shouldering the burden of the crown as the Hand of the King for six long years, as the burden of his responsibilities continued to mount with each passing day. "I thank you for the comprehensive report, Lord Beesbury. It is imperative that we implement suitable measures needed to avoid recurring financial losses from the royal treasury and prevent wasteful spending on social festivities that could harm the realm's economy," he said in a flat cold dead tone. It was colder than ice. "And have a look into the pros and cons of levying a tax on the sale of new wool." One could discern from the look in his pale lilac eyes that he cared little for anything except for maintaining order and doing his sworn duty. However, Queen Beatrice and the Caltrops have grown bolder these past few years, nipping at his heels and posing a more significant threat to his plans. "What news of Aegon?" he asked.

The councilors remained silent.

Since his castration and being sent to the Wall in exile as punishment for trying to rape Princess Aemma, the disgraced Prince Aegon the Elder was reported to have escaped from Castle Black under cover of night and had been on the run from the Night's Watch before he was last seen hiding somewhere on the remote northern island of Skagos. Word arrived from his agents and mentioned that upon being confronted, Sunfyre decimated the men of the Night's Watch sent to arrest him with dragonflame and carried Aegon off somewhere in the southern region.

As the silence lingered, an overwhelming heat suffocated the room, leaving everyone uneasy.

"Eight thousand Night's Watch rangers have known about his escape for two years. Collectively, you control more spies and informants than the rest of the world combined. Do you mean to tell me that none of you has any notion of where he is?" Aeonar asked coolly.

"We are trying, my Lord Hand," Farrier spoke.

"Try. Harder." Must I need to remind everyone that the House of the Dragon does not tolerate failure? Or the price of defiance? "What else do we have?" Aeonar's attention was focused on his request when suddenly, the doors were pushed open, briefly distracting him. There stood his former mentor, Ser Harrold of the Kingsguard. "Lord Commander," he acknowledged.

Harrold bowed his head. "The ships from Driftmark have arrived, my Lord Hand," he informed them.

Vaemond. Huh. How predictable. Very clever of you, Beatrice; I suppose you managed to do something slightly different for once. "I trust they've been welcomed as befits their station."

"Indeed, the Queen is currently attending to the matter at hand, my prince. Furthermore, the Lady Regent Princess Rhaenys has arrived ahead of schedule and awaits your presence in the gardens."

"Good. That will be all."

As Harrold made his exit, the small council resumed their discussions. The topic at hand was the inheritance of Driftmark, and with the recent arrival of Vaemond and Rhaenys, the conversation had taken on new significance. The contenders for Lord Corlys Velaryon's successor were few, with only two leading candidates at the forefront: Corlys's younger brother, Ser Vaemond, and his legal grandson, Prince Jacaerys. As they debated the merits of each claim, they weighed the potential consequences of their decision, knowing that the future of House Velaryon hung in the balance.