Chapter 5: First Betrayal

King's Landing ― Tourney grounds...

The day had finally arrived: the tournament hosting the inevitable arrival of King Viserys's next child - one he insists will be another boy. Lords, knights, and squires gathered in the capital from all corners of the realm to compete. Aeonar sat in the royal box with Alicent, Lord Corlys, Princess Rhaenys, his father, and Otto Hightower. Joining him was none other than his sister, Princess Rhaenyra, dressed up in an elegant red dress before taking a seat to Alicent's left. Rising from his seat, Aeonar cleared his throat to address the growing and restless crowd.

"Lords and ladies of the realm. The crown bids you welcome on this historic day. It is my distinct pleasure to introduce my lord father - Viserys of the House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, who has a few words to share with our competitors."

"Be welcome!" Viserys announced. "I know many of you have traveled long leagues to be at these games. But I promise, you will not be disappointed. When I look at the fine knights in these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories. And this great day has been made more auspicious by the news... that I am happy to share: Queen Aemma has begun her labors!"

The audience cheered and applauded loudly.

"May the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!"

Aeonar, however, felt uneasy. In the corner of his mind, he felt a nerve twitching and tugging at his psyche. Vexing, but alarming. This feeling in my head... it's back again. I have not felt this tense since the Great Council, or my being named Prince of Dragonstone all those years ago. Something is wrong... I know it, but what is it? What does this mean? Mother... Now he had this distinct feeling many times when he felt something was not right. Acting the role, the prince joined the others in applauding the news. His eyes examined the tourney grounds closely, turning his head for suspicious activity. Glancing to his right were the Velaryon children - Laena, a child of twelve, and Corlys's daughter, who had a great mane of silver-gold ringlets that fell past her waist. According to his files, Laena had already been freshly flowered, and inherited her mother's beauty as well as her father's boldness; beside her was her brother and heir to Driftmark, Laenor - who had an aquiline nose, silver-white hair, and purple eyes. All pure-blooded Valyrian.

"Sheesh, you're even more tense than usual lately," Rhaenyra teased.

"Mock me all you want, Rhaenyra," Aeonar shook his head, "but a skilled spymaster must always be on alert... even during times of peace."

"You tell yourself that?"

"Sometimes."

"Well, don't think about it too much. Because look! Here they go!"

Horses neighed and charged forth, their rides extending their lances before crashing into their shields. Circling, the competitors grabbed a spare lance as they made another pass.

"Sigil - a striding red huntsman on a green field," Alicent observed. "House Tarly of Horn Hill."

"Words - 'First in Battle.' It highlights House Tarly's emphasis on battle and military service, but their seemingly unstoppable drive in pursuing their goals means they can be overambitious and stubborn."

"You believe that?" Rhaenyra teased again.

Aeonar stared at the field. "Once you look past the surface, the true intention of a person lies right before your very eyes," he said cryptically.

"You're being pessimistic in the hope of something will inevitably happen, my dear brother?"

"I am pessimistic, my dear sister. Keeps you on your toes. We would not want anyone getting bored now, do we?"