Chapter 88: Ambush over Shipbreaker Bay

Red Keep ― Small Council chambers...

Amid a tumultuous three-day period, the situation seems to be escalating rapidly. Unfortunately, the Caltrops did not respond to the Blacks' terms of surrender. As a result, with the prospect of civil war now looming large, both sides are preparing for battle. Those who have declared allegiance to Aegon Targaryen have reportedly been gathering their forces. The Blacks are easily identifiable by their black banners adorned with three-headed dragons, while the Caltrops' banners feature an orange three-headed dragon. The Blacks' high-ranking leaders met for one final time at the Red Keep to discuss their strategic plans, hoping to gain an edge over their counterparts.

"Since we've had the Stepstones under our control these past seventeen years," Corlys surveyed the map, "I have taken the liberty to restock the garrison in our territories with new armaments, rations, and ships to ensure the smooth flow of trade to King's Landing and our allies in the east. If we... further seal the Summer Sea, cut off seaborne travel and trade to the west. I've already sent word to House Redwyne in the Arbor. Should any merchant ship be seen trying to circle around the Stepstones, they will establish a total blockade in days, if not already."

Otto examined the map and noted that Lord Redwyne was a close kin of the Hightowers and a good friend of his grandnephew, Lyonel Hightower, who was Lord Ormund's young son. With the combined might of the Velaryon, Redwyne, and Royal fleets, the Blacks held dominion over the seas. However, the Hand also had to consider the Principality of Dorne taking notice of increased activity along the Summer Sea. Despite Dorne's neutrality, if the Blacks or the Caltrops brought naval warfare near their borders, House Martell would interpret it as an act of war. To prevent such a possibility, Otto sent a raven to Prince Qoren beforehand to reassure no conflict would come near Dorne's borders.

"My lord," Jaehaerys interrupted, "we must also consider the Triarchy taking advantage of the conflict. Dragonstone is too well-defended to invade, so if they go through the Gullet, Driftmark would be vulnerable to attack."

"I shall take Meleys and patrol the Gullet myself," Rhaenys volunteered.

Aeonar carefully studied the map of Westeros, examining every detail. It reminded him of his younger days when he, Daemon, and Corlys fought their own private war against the Triarchy in the Stepstones. With the island chain under Velaryon control, the Triarchy's remnants would have to seek other options, no matter how few they were. His spies in Essos had reported that Admiral Sharako Lohar had gathered enough resources to construct 90 warships, and General Racallion Ryndoon would be with him. If the remnants of the Triarchy were planning to invade the Gullet, then Driftmark and King's Landing would be within their sights. They would need all the forces they could get to defend the surrounding territories with their fleets and dragons.

"When we drain the Summer Sea, we can cut off the Caltrops' logistical supply lines and force their surrender," Bartimos said.

"To do that, we'll need to isolate their holdings," Aegon surveyed.

"We must also consider their five dragons likely patrolling the skies," Viserys warned. "Corxes, Maelyx, and Vermax might be smaller than the others, but they are still large enough to be considered fighting-sized."

"Which leaves Moondancer, Arrax, and Gaemon out of the equation," Aemma said.

Daeron complained that he and his dragon were too young to join the fight. Baela also wanted to fight alongside Jaehaerys as a fellow Targaryen dragonrider, but Moondancer was too small to be considered a fighting-sized dragon. She, Rhaena, and Joffrey were to be fostered at Gulltown in the Vale for their protection. Before leaving, Aeonar entrusted Rhaena with three dragon eggs to watch over. If one hatched, she could claim it.